Friday, November 20, 2009

Betwixt and Between

One last rose blooms in a sheltered corner, a lingering breath of sweet summer time . . .

The greens from the garden are bug free at last! Dill and parsley, Georgia collards, and kale -- Black Tuscan and Red Russian -- sweet and delicious, all the better for having been lightly kissed by frost. . .

Eggs from the hen house, another flush of mushrooms -- oysters and shitakes, and fat potatoes, dark soil still clinging to them . . . the makings of a feast . . .



The temperature is falling and at last it's time for a fire.








Miss Susie Hutchins approves.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Martin said...

Vicki

You've painted a picture of cosiness for me. Home produce, home baking and the warmth of a log fire to enjoy it by. Wonderful!

By the way, I know that this cosiness doesn't just jump of a shelf. It's the effort that makes it all the more precious.

Pat in east TN said...

Isn't it wonderful, and satisfying, when so many things are 'home grown'.

Your rose is absolutely beautiful!

Carol Murdock said...

Hey Vicki....it all makes me want to visit! I love that egg basket!
I'll be so happy when I can get back to blogging and reading!! :)

Merisi said...

I got some Single-Malt Whisky dark chocolate from the town of King Lionheart fame for dessert. May I come over for dinner? ;-)

Vicki Lane said...

The cooler nights are an invitation to hearty peasant meals -- smothered chicken and mushrooms in gravy, served over mashed potatoes with sauteed and steamed greens on the side. I would love it if you all were here to share. The dark chocolate will be perfect, Merisi!

And the next day -- Tuscan potato soup with kale and sausage -- yummm!