Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Almost Summer Report

The snake (Northern water snake) in the greenhouse has found love. (Note the sweetly entwined tails.)
The goslings by the river are flourishing -- pre-teens by now and probably driving their watchful parents crazy.

And swimming dogs have drawn pretty spirals though the water meal - the tiny weed blanketing our pond.

The corn and beans in the garden are up; rhododendron and irises fading, roses coming on strong. The days are long -- but not long enough. I'm off.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Pat in east TN said...

I encountered my first snake of the seaon just the other day, a family of red fox (mom, dad and 5 little ones) have moved into our neighbors barn which is just beyond our house, and our garden, despite the lack of rain, is looking good and providing lettuce, spinach, radishes and broccoli already. YUM!!!

I agree that the days aren't long enough ... always something to do, but at the end of the day I feel good for the accomplishments I've made.

Vicki Lane said...

I envy you the foxes -- they're around here but I never see them.

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite moments at the writers retreat was finding a black snake hanging out in a tree. Sad that more people don't appreciate these creatures.

Vicki Lane said...

Even though I've learned to appreciate snakes for their useful role (keeping the rat/mouse/goldfish populations in check) and for their beauty, I still give an involuntary start when I first glimpse one. It's as if millions of years of ape ancestry are saying, "Danger! Snake!"