Friday, April 22, 2016

Earth Day 2016


 

 Every  day is Earth Day around here, especially in the Spring.


John did the tilling and I've been hand weeding the asparagus and my creepy garden, as well as pruning back the black pussy willow that was making too much shade.


There was enough asparagus to provide a gracious plenty for supper. 


And I had seeds to plant -- look at that nifty radish!



A young toad kept an eye on me to make sure I didn't forget the purple carrots . . .


And the asparagus takes a bow, topped with red bell pepper sauteed in butter and lemon juice and accompanied by potatoes with dill and chicken roasted with rosemary and lemon.

Love that first harvest!


7 comments:

Ms. A said...

Everyone in my family love asparagus, except me. I've never seen a radish like that!

Anvilcloud said...

Happy Earth Day

Stella Jones said...

A lovely expectant time of the year. Happy Earth day Vicki.
Your dinner looks wonderful.

Frances said...

Happy Earth Day to you, too, Vicki.

How wonderful it must be to grow your own asparagus! That last photo of your "blue plate special" has given me some menu ideas. First step: acquire garden and plant asparagus. Then, wait a while for results.

I wanted to let you know I have checked the Lee Smith book you recommended out from the library. I will get to it soon, but am now reading Edna O'Brien's The Little Red Chairs.

xo

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Happy Earth Day to you!! What a wonderful photo of the bee! And my mouth began to water when I saw the asparagus!! Have a wonderful day!

Jime said...

Thank goodness our Momma Earth gives all she has got every day. We give her one day a year. What is wrong with that picture? Please save me some of the chicken dinner, I will be right over. Ha, Ha

Carol Crump Bryner said...

Thanks, Vicki, for the reminder about Earth Day, and for the lovely photos of your southern spring. I lust after that asparagus!