Friday, March 4, 2016

Full Circle



Yesterday I channeled my inner Elizabeth Goodweather (the herb growing, wreath making protagonist of my mystery novels)  and spent a little time making a wreath from fresh bay leaves. (I have two bay trees in my greenhouse.

 And as I worked on the wreath, I was thinking back forty-some years  . . .


When we moved to our farm in 1975, my college friend Vickie Owen who lived over the mountain on Big Pine (and who was how we happened to end up in western North Carolina in the first place) came to dinner and brought me a beautiful basket filled with various goodies and bunches of fresh herbs. I've never forgotten the pleasure that gift gave me.

My friend Vickie is gone now but last night we were invited to dinner in our friends Liz and Larry's new house over the mountain. So it seemed fitting to make a little housewarming gift basket and include a bunch of rosemary, some goodies, and the bay wreath.

And that gave me a lot of pleasure too, thinking how the circle turns . . .


8 comments:

Ms. A said...

What a nice gesture and I'm sure they loved it!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Reminds me of my mother who never went to visit empty handed. How very nice! Have a grand weekend.

KarenB said...

What a lovely gift!

And to reply to yesterday . . . DARN! No stalking you in the elevator! I'll just have to come to NC instead.

jennyfreckles said...

What a lovely, thoughtful gift.

Suz said...

the artist at work...very lovely gift

Barbara Rogers said...

Great circle! Bay wreath must be nice to pass by. I need to think of another wreath for spring.

katy gilmore said...

Love this post - can't imagine having bay leaves from my own tree and not from a grocery store. The wreath is lovely.

NCmountainwoman said...

What a great gift. Sad to admit, but at one of the places we lived we had bay trees and it never occurred to me they were the same as the bay leaves I purchased.