Thursday, August 1, 2013

This Is Not My Hammock


 Back in 1966, during John's final months in the Marines, we bought a hammock at Pawley's Island. John was stationed at Beaufort, SC and we were living in a non-air conditioned house. He went to work in a air conditioned trailer -- I spent most of my days reading in the hammock under the big oak in the yard. Really, it was too hot to do anything else.

When we moved to the farm, we put up the hammock. The conditions were less than ideal -- the only big trees near the house were on a slope which made getting into the hammock challenging and getting out, downright dangerous.  Besides, we had a three year old to deal with, a garden to tend, a cow to milk, and a house to finish.  The hammock hung there forlornly and, come winter, we stored it in the barn where the rats chewed it to bits.

But it's such a tantalizing thought -- to head out to the hammock with a good book, some sandwiches, and a jug of lemonade . . .

Never mind that, even without the cow to milk and the three year old to tend, I still stay pretty busy. Never mind that we still don't have a proper level site -- when I saw this hammock the other day, I was consumed with a completely irrational lust for the dolce far niente sort of a life that a hammock implies. 

A big tree, like the one in the picture, is essential. Birdsong, a gentle breeze, sunlight twinkling through the leaves, maybe the smell of freshly-mown grass --  I take another sip of lemonade and turn the page. . .

 One of my friends used to fantasize about an elegant croquet game with the ladies in lacy white dresses and strawberries, champagne, and little cucumber sandwiches for refreshments . . . my grandmother wanted to sit in the shade by a river with a cane pole . . .

What's your idea of a perfect lazy summer day?
 
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Ms. A said...

My idea of a perfect lazy summer day is lounging inside with the AC. Yep, I'm not a hot weather person, at all.

Victoria said...

Puttering around on the lake in my boat or sitting by the creek (or in the creek if it's hot enough) reading a book and drinking sweet tea. I never could manage the art of staying in a hammock; the darn things will tip me out every time!

Thérèse said...

A good book, some music, a lemonade and that's it.
The hammock would be a plus of course + the fact that it would be a day on the calendar which goes missing for the ones having to deal with me or me with them :-)

Pat in east TN said...

Sitting in a comfy lawn chair (hammocks are not my thing either) under our big maple tree with a good book and some iced tea. Doesn't get any better then that!

Brian Miller said...

oh i would love to laze away some time in a hammock...just saying...

but no winding it up like we used to do as kids...ha

Frances said...

Vicki, the word hammock does conjure up each of the images and aspects that you show and describe. Full summer relaxation. Sometimes it is tantalizingly close, sometimes a distant goal.

Ice cream cones feature prominently in my summer daydreaming, too.

xo

Barbara Rogers said...

Retirement gives me many empty days on my calendar...but somehow when I go to bed each night, I'm full of memories of everything that happened, whether planned or not. Ideal summer day...today.

Christine said...

Front porch swing, with a book and a big glass of sweet iced tea!

Mel said...

My perfect lazy summer day is one spent reading non-stop. In a hammock, on the porch sofa, on a blanket on the ground, doesn't matter where, as long as there are books, some shade, and nothing to interrupt me.

jennyfreckles said...

Would you believe my daughter has a hammock in her tiny, tiny London garden. I think she has her priorities right.