Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Do You Know About Pluots?



I didn't. But I bought some last week and was amazed at how very good they are.  Pluots are a cross between plums and apricots -- two parts plum to one part apricot -- and they are heavenly crisp and sweet. 

These were green when ripe with greenish yellow flesh -- online pictures show others that are red inside and out.

We ate them up quickly --out of hand or sliced atop salad greens with a bit of red onion, gorgonzola, and toasted almonds, dressed with a light vinaigrette. If I can find more, I'd like to try a plum tart.

I love the fresh fruit available in the summer -- we've had a steady supply of fresh peaches and blueberries with our yoghurt and granola in the mornings. And mangoes have been a welcome salad addition. All too soon though, this bounty will end... the last peaches I bought were disappointing -- probably in storage too long.

If only I could find some more pluots! I'm envisioning that tart -- a sweet, buttery pastry, meltingly delicious fruit, and heavy cream poured atop. . .

Actually, I could probably choke that down even made with ordinary red plums . . .

13 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh my, something new to try! I will look for them. Unfortunately your post didn't get updated on my "blog list" today, but I can't have my coffee without your words and pics, so I went looking for you. AH, now I've had my fix. Since nobody else has commented, I figure they may be having same situation.

Brian Miller said...

we got these from an orchard/farm we went to...they are great...took a bit for me to get my boys to try it but they loved them as well...

Vicki Lane said...

I was slow getting this one up -- had it scheduled wrong, Barb.

Frances said...

Pluots are delicious! I currently see them at the Union Square farmers market.

However, right now my seasonal favorites are white peaches. I'm looking forward to re-visiting a particular farmer's stand tomorrow. I think we'll be able get luscious peaches for a couple of more weeks.

It surprises me that some farmer are already offering little 2013 apples.

xo

NCmountainwoman said...

I've never heard of them, but I will definitely look for them.

Barbara Rogers said...

OK, I keep hassling blogger...but I figure it's one in a few million feedbacks. Apparently my blogger friends are also fallible.

Ms. A said...

That's a new one for me, I've never heard of them!

Deanna said...

Love fresh fruit! Have never heard of a Pluot. It sounds amazing.

Deanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cecilia buyswheeler gunther said...

Good morning, I came over from Juliet's blog after seeing that winsome and gorgeous shot of you.. and reading your kind words. Please forgive me popping in without an introduction. I am Cecilia and though I have never heard of these fruits, I loved your cleaning cats! c

katy gilmore said...

I have seen pluots - and now you make me want to try them! Mostly we wallow in berries - and watermelon - and nectarines! Aah summer - thank you Vicki for all these posts - for kitties and flowers and big cows!

Pat in east TN said...

Never heard of them, but definitely have to try then.

jennyfreckles said...

New to me... but there's some lovely fruit around this summer. Strawberries have been so sweet and now we have a bounty of blackberries in the hedgerows.