Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Surf's Up . . .


The last of my California pictures . . .

A month ago I was marveling at these beautiful beaches and rugged cliffs . . .

So different from the Florida and other southern beaches I've visited -- 
there are whole stretches of this gorgeous coastline that are agricultural . . .

Instead of condos and hotels crowded along the shore,
 there are fields of pumpkins and artichokes . . .
 

modest farmhouses, and farmstands . . .

You probably can't imagine how much I wanted this little cookstove. . .
 
And every so often there would be a beach access road. . .

All this beauty. .  .

I was mesmerized, watching the waves break on the rocks . . .

I swear, these pictures are just a sample -- the tip of the proverbial iceberg. . .

I should have taken videos and captured the wonderful sound . . .

But I didn't.

I did get pictures of some of the plants growing near the beach . . .

All unknown to me -- I might as well have been in New Zealand. . .

The yellow one reminds me of yarrow and this one below looks like a teasel . . .
but I don't know . . . 

California poppies? 
I think so . . . 

I love the rocks -- another difference from the flat expanses of sand I'm used to. . .  

Such drama!
 
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Ms. A said...

These are beautiful! Did you edit the people out, or was the beach without people? I can't imagine a beach without crowds of people... except in photos.

Merisi said...

Gorgeous landscapes and glimpses of a different life!

Martin said...

Thanks, Vicki. Now my head is full of Beach Boys harmonies!

Vicki Lane said...

Ms.A -- there were very few people. It WAS a chilly day and I'm told the water is quite cold.

Brian Miller said...

ah the beaches are so different there....love the cliffs....havent been in about 8 years....love little produce stands like that as well...

Barbara Rogers said...

Me too, that little stove is precious. But bringing home those great beach photos was a better idea, and thanks for sharing!

Frances said...

Vicki, something about the light in the first photo and the cliff brought Monet's paintings to my mind.

Yes, these beach scenes are not at all like those of the Mid-Atlantic, and yes, I think I can imagine falling in love with that little stove.

xo

Inger said...

California is a beautiful state, indeed. I like the variety of landscapes here. It is true that if you live in Los Angeles, you can go surfing in the morning and skiing in the afternoon. Not that I ever did, but it's there. Then there's the desert, which has its own strange beauty. I am so glad you enjoyed your trip and our beautiful state.

jennyfreckles said...

Such blue sea. We have plenty of cliffs here but the sea is hardly ever that colour! I like all the birds standing on that rock, it looks like a committee meeting.

Vagabonde said...

Now that our daughter has moved to Memphis I don’t know when we’ll go back to California it’s certainly is a lovely state. I still have many pictures that I should publish in posts - I love your photos.

I wonder if North Carolina has also submitted their petitions to secede from the US? I just saw today that individuals in Georgia did – I guess they’ll have to take their flags off their houses, no?