Thursday, November 29, 2012

Recommended Reading


The Art Forger kept me reading into the wee hours -- I HAD to find out what happened.  A wonderful story about art, human nature, Degas, forgery, betrayal, Isabella Stewart Gardiner and her museum in Boston.  Excellent descriptions of how a painting is created as well as how a painter's career is built -- or destroyed.

My agent sent me this book -- Shapiro is a client of hers -- knowing that I'd enjoy it and I did, I did!

Several years after almost everyone I know recommended The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society to me, I have finally read it and have to say, everyone was right. It's a charming, quirky story, told through letters and in many different voices.  There are wonderful characters and a fascinating exploration of a previously little known facet of WWII -- the German Occupation of small bit of Britain -- the channel island of Guernsey.
  
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Victoria said...

I loved both of these books.

I hope all is going well with you, Vicki.

Ms. A said...

Reading and recovery, hope it's going well.

Thérèse said...

Loved the two books...
We are crossing our fingers.

Martin said...

I will have to investigate...eventually. Hope everything is working out for you. You are missed.

Miss_Yves said...

Interesting art book!
I know the the second one: in French, le cercle littéraire des
amateurs d'épluchures de patates"
!
Very pleasant to read .
A best seller in France é àr " years ago !

Brian Miller said...

alright...the art forger is going on the list...

Christine said...

I'd like to stick my nose in those books! Hope you're mending dear friend! I did alot of reading while I was getting over my surgery.

Barbara Rogers said...

I enjoyed the Potato Peel Pie Society as a CD book read by some really awesome voices...the way I travel by car, with a good book along the way. I'll look for The Art Forger...sounds good! Here's hoping your recovery is like a good book, pulling you forward to experiencing the satisfaction of "well done."

Vicki Lane said...

John brought my faithful laptop to the hospital so I'm just saying hi and thanks for all the good wishes.. Not feeling too perky but then no one said it would be easy...

Tammy said...

Hi Vicki,
Good to see you are at least coherent. It won't be easy, but at least you are through with the surgery and don't have that to face. Now it's a matter of time and getting past the initial pain. Take care, and thanks for letting us know!

Tammy

Anonymous said...

Hoping for an uneventful recovery for you with maybe some time where you've got a good excuse to read.

Lynne in GA

jennyfreckles said...

Both of those sound really readable. I will have to file them away for when my reading pile gets low.