Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Guess Who's Coming to Lunch?


Our lunch guests yesterday were these two good-looking guys . . .  
some of you might find the faces familiar.

D.G. Martin is, among other things, the host of NC Bookwatch -- a program that talks about North Carolina books and authors. He's invited me to be on the show (I'll be going to Chapel Hill next Monday to tape it -- it won't air till next year and you can be sure I'll let you know.)

Anyway, on Monday I got an email from DG saying that he was planning on visiting the area --Marshall and Hot Springs -- and could he stop by for a quick visit? Oh, and by the way, he added, Charles Frazier was probably coming with him.

Charles Frazier!?! The author of COLD MOUNTAIN?  OMG! OMG!

I insisted that they come for lunch and tempted them with barbeque sandwiches (our own barbecue from the freezer) and cole slaw. And there was  Ba's Pound Cake  hot from the oven . . .
  
Really, I tried SO hard to not to act like a complete idiot fan girl --- but I did take these three pictures (the one below of my husband John and Charles is blurry, drat it, but I was trying not to make a big deal of taking pictures) . . . and I did get our copy of COLD MOUNTAIN autographed. 

Both of the gentlemen were charming guests -- as the old folks around here would say --
"just as common. . ."  -- which, let me hasten to add, doesn't mean trashy but down home and not putting on airs.   

Aye, law! An exciting day!
 
Posted by Picasa

23 comments:

Victoria said...

Holy Moly! You lucky woman, you! I think I would have failed completely at not acting like a complete idiot fan girl.

Ms. A said...

Very impressive!

Thérèse said...

Marvelous! How fun! So much now to digest before Monday. Good luck and let us know. Thks for sharing these wonderful homey moments.

Martin said...

Fantastic, Vicki! I hope we'll be able to watch the interview online. Have you come down off the ceiling yet?

Merisi in Vienna said...

Oh my goodness, I am all excited here, and I am an ocean and some mountains away! I should have timed my visit better, drats! :-)

I treasure my first edition of Frazier's "Cold Mountain". How wonderful you got to meet him.

Pat in east TN said...

What an exciting day for you! I would have had more then a blurry picture. ... perhaps spilled food and drink and me tripping over my tongue.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

How fabulous! Lots of excitement at your farm today. What an honor to have them visit your home. But remember that they came to see you - now that's the honor.

Happy Thanksgiving from our house to yours.
Sam

KarenB said...

Funny how that 13 year old fan girl can suddenly reappear, negating years of maturity and reason!

What a lovely lunch that must have been! With homemade barbeque, no less.

Barbara Rogers said...

So happy for you...and that they honored you with their visit just shows that you pulled them toward you...consciously or otherwise. I imagine the conversation was most enjoyable, as well as your cooking, of course.

Brian Miller said...

how cool is that...did not realize i was commenting on such celebrity you know...hob nobbing with the other famous...them even asking to come to your house for lunch...smiles...i know that was fun...

Vicki Lane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vicki Lane said...

Still floating... but shall return to earth shortly in order to do some Thanksgiving cooking.

Vicki Lane said...

Still floating... but shall return to earth shortly in order to do some Thanksgiving cooking.

Mel said...

I would have been dumbstruck! What a lovely surprise. I bet they left full and satisfied!

Wayfarin' Stranger said...

Perhaps their visit was just a small indication of your own stature as a writer. But it is comforting to know Charles Frazier is "common as an old shoe." We mountain folk do appreciate people who don't put on airs.

Polly Iyer said...

Definitely a lunch to remember and an honor to keep. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Vicki.

Folkways Note Book said...

Vicki -- What an exciting day for you and your husband. Enjoyed your photos of the day. -- barbara

NCmountainwoman said...

Such a treat! I would have been stuck dumb. Or worse yet, talked non-stop.

Happy Thanksgiving

Vagabonde said...

Such an honor to have these guests come to your home – I can see how you must have felt… so excited. It will be fun to hear the upcoming show. Happy Thanksgiving to you and family!

jennyfreckles said...

Not knowing of their literary skills, I nevertheless might have been reduced to jelly by their undoubted gorgeousness!

Frances said...

Vicki, I am sure that I would also have been a bit awed to have such gentlemen callers, but somehow...I think that they are the ones who might have been more in awe of your hospitality, wit, incredibly lovely home and the comfort you gave them.

Amen. xo

Darla said...

I was giddy just reading this! So happy for you! :-)

Geri F. Brewster said...

Thank you for sharing with us your great day. Great authors attract great authors. Blessings.