Friday, November 2, 2012

Santa Cruz Mission and Monkey Puzzle -Second Try

 


Bending time and space, we're back in California at a  (scaled down) replica of the original mission in Santa Cruz. While I'm not in favor of imposing religion on others (and treating those others as virtual slaves as was too often the case -- follow the link to read about the mission priest who used a metal tipped whip on his laborers and the instructive story of his fate), nonetheless, the mission architecture is charming and beautiful against California's blue skies.


There was a little museum attached which was, alas, not open the day we visited.
  
It's been half a century and more since I studied Latin but I'm guessing the inscription says something like 'Hail, O Cross, (our) only hope.' (Feel free to correct me.)


A lovely, spare interior...

Pretty views...  
  
Inside and out...

The long view...

Iconic shot... but for the dratted power lines.


Next to the replica mission , on the site of the original building,
 is its modern day descendant ...

A very large church with a Very Large tree... 


The Very Large tree is a Monkey Puzzle  -- which I've only ever encountered in English novels. 
Odd, as they're natives of South America...  
 
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Novice Naturalist said...

Ah! The photos. Thanks for the 2nd try. Read the link--violence does indeed beget violence. And even the most heinous human activities sometimes leave behind beautiful architecture! Also, I am pretty sure I see a lot of those 'monkey' trees when I visit Seattle. If not the exact one, some very similar and intriguing to this southerner.

Inger said...

I hope you are enjoying your California visit. I have been writing about the missions every Sunday and this Sunday, I will talk about the darker side, the terrible treatment of the Indians and the Indian uprisings. Phew, it is turning out to be quite a job, but I enjoy learning, so it is OK.

Martin said...

I love that shot of the steeple pointing heavenward. My brother and I used to drink in a pub called The Monkey Puzzle. Appropriately, my brother was working in a hotel in a place called Sway, at the time.

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks for pics this time. I doubt that I've seen a Monkey Tree.

Brian Miller said...

dont know that i have ever seen a monkey puzzle tree, that is pretty cool...pretty cool mission as well..i would say karma caught up with him you know...

Ms. A said...

The ninth photo is my favorite, against the deep blue sky! Sorry about the first attempt and thanks for the successful second!

Frances said...

Oh Vicki, I remember the first time I saw a monkey puzzle tree (in the little front garden of a UK friend's cottage neighbors...Barbara Pym novel references came alive.

It's fun to see more of your California photos. Isn't it funny how different the two coasts are? In another set of California photos today I caught my second glimpse of a Pacific coast blue jay.

xo

Vicki Lane said...

Inger -- I'll check out those posts.

Martin --England does have some odd place names (Lower Slaughter comes to mind) --very fitting spot for a pub.

Frances -- another Barbara Pym fan? Oh, yes!

Brenda said...

Enjoying the California pics! I have never in my life heard of the "Monkey Puzzle." But what a fascinating tree! An even bigger mystery- why does your blog show up as "Voting Day" in my reader?? That's next week.. well, Voting Day for me will be tomorrow. I wish they would let me vote every day...

Vicki Lane said...

Brenda -- I was scheduling ahead and the post for Tuesday published itself. I immediately took it down -- it will be back up on Tuesday. But that's why.

Darla said...

I'm enjoying the photos. The only other time I've ever heard a reference to a Monkey Puzzle tree is in one of my favorite old B&W movies "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir"