Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Gregory Peck and the Coxcomb


This handsome guy is our California White rooster -- Gregory Peck  (the name I've given most of our roosters over the years. )

Now that the garden is over, John lets the chickens out in the afternoon and they have begun to find their way to the porch in search of stray dog food or sunflower seeds.

I admit that some stale bread helped ensure Gregory's cooperation

He was wary . . . but he hung around long enough for me to get some good shots of what T.H. White called "mad marigold eyes" and a nice silhouette of his intricate comb.  Which reminds me of a story. . .

Oftimes in a hard winter, the tips of the combs will freeze, turn black, and fall off. It doesn't seem to bother the bird but is does detract from their beauty.  

One year, after such a cold snap, a friend of mine who was living with us (a literary type who probably had in mind the word 'coxcomb,') went around telling folks that it had been so cold that the chickens' cocks had fallen off.
 
Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Ms. A said...

Great pics and funny story! I would have had to use a long lens for that one... I'm terrified of roosters!

Victoria said...

Bwhahahahahahahahaha! I would have loved to see the looks on the faces of the people when your friend said that to them.

Great photos, too!

Martin said...

Suffice to say, you have me reaching for my thermals, Vicki!

Brian Miller said...

dang. that would be brutal cold....lol...

Pat in east TN said...

What a beautiful bird! You sure got some great pictures of him.

I love the story. Too funny!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Funny. I'm with Victoria. I would have loved to have seen the looks on the faces of the people when he told that story.

Ole Gregory is a very handsome fellow.
Sam

Barbara Rogers said...

Well done...great pics, great story. And I think of Gregory Peck in "To Kill a Mockingbird"...wonder how that could be part of the story too...

Jean Baardsen said...

He is handsome! I hope he keeps warm enough this winter....

NCmountainwoman said...

What a gorgeous rooster! And the post title is fantastic.

Nature Weaver Gypsy said...

I'll never look at a rooster again without thinking of this blog.

Autism Blog said...

Well he sure is handsome. And very clean, I don't remember my roosters over the years looking so clean and tidy.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Handsome fella- those eyes are a little mad looking! Have a great Thanksgiving Vicki!

Ellis Vidler said...

He's quite a handsome fellow. I love the blue pot behind him. Great colors. And I love his name. So does my husband. He calls our favorite singing wren Michael Rennie. :-)

Frances said...

Vicki, your GP is definitely ready for lots of close up pix, and your eye and camera answer that wonderfully!

Wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving.

xo

Juliet said...

Handsome rooster, great name (I smiled a lot reading this), and great pictures of him against that big blue pot. You have a good eye for colour.

Merisi said...

Gorgeous pictures, love how Sir Peck poses in front of royal blue!

Laughed out loud at the coxcomb story! xxx