Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Saffron


A lone Autumn crocus blooming in my entry way flower bed. See those lovely orange-red stigmas? This is a saffron crocus and it's dried stigmas like these that produce this pricey seasoning/coloring ingredient.
Saffron has a long, long history but is best known to me as an ingredient in Spanish cooking. I grew up in Tampa where Ybor City, the Latin Quarter, was the place to go for great food -- and arroz con pollo (chicken and rice) meant yellow rice, tinted with saffron and the less expensive anatto.
Seeing the saffron crocus blooming inspired this meal -- Yellow rice with black beans, fried tilapia and shrimp, roasted sweet potatoes with onions and cumin. And a green salad that didn't get in the photo. Apologies for the slightly out of focus picture -- it's a sin to let hot food go cold so I grab a shot and don't always take time to see if it was good. But the food was.
Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

Ms. A said...

Dang, that look good!

Ms. A said...

Make that "looks" good.

Desiree said...

May I join you for dinner, please? It looks so colourful and delicious! The saffron crocus is absolutely beautiful! I had not seen one before now.

Martin said...

In Cornwall, a bakery isn't a bakery if it doesn't sell Saffron Buns.

Ellis Vidler said...

Your pictures, even without the words, are inspiring. Your menu is making me hungry. Now I'm longing for something with saffron--maybe paella? I foresee an evening in the kitchen. :-)

Sally said...

Interesting to learn about saffron.

Looks like a tasty dinner. Wish you would write a cookbook with your many good recipes!

Brian Miller said...

oh the food was great...used to live in valrico and went to ybor city all the time....yum yum gimme some...

Suz said...

ah...against the blue plate
you got me

Wayfarin' Stranger said...

Yum!

Thérèse said...

It sounds like more than delicious!
Saffron crocus: a first for me.

R. Burnett Baker said...

Goodness, Vicki, you made me hungry with beautiful photos! And I thought saffron was much more distant and exotic than this...
Rick

JJ Roa Rodriguez said...

i always admire your photos... and i always learn something new... love it!

JJRod'z

Alan Burnett said...

Saffron always makes me think of the saffron robes of Buddhist monks.The sources of natural colours are always amazing : that long process of experimentation and discovery which resulted in the painters' palette.

Elora said...

Beautiful! Love the saffron flavor! Paella. Yum.

(Funny. I read everyone else's comments after I wrote mine!
:-)) Like minds!

Elora

Tracy Golightly-Garcia said...

Hello Vicki

Yes-a beautiful indeed!

Thanks for sharing some saffron history-I love studying food history.

Have a great evening.

Best
Tracy :)

Susie said...

You are an amazing photographer as well as author! Love your photos and books.

Vicki Lane said...

Martin, I've found a recipe for saffron buns and may give it a try.

Paella sounds good too, Ellis and Elora!

Sally -- I keep meaning to organize the recipes I've posted --maybe some day...

Jill said...

I have always wanted to grow the saffron crocus. Enjoyed seeing the picture. I read where saffron can actually make you ill if you ingest too much of it. Your rice looks fabulous! Along with the rest of your meal!

Kath said...

Pardon my drooling.
Is there fried plantains for dessert? Or breakfast, lunch, main dish dinner. YUM