Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Meet Willa

As I mentioned, we have a new dog. She looks a good bit like a mini-Maggie ...
And her long body makes me think of William...

 He disavows any knowledge of her, however...
This is how it happened: On Monday morning a neighbor on the other side of the mountain called to ask if we were missing a little brown dog. Since all our crew were accounted for, I told him no and said I would call some other neighbors and ask. I did but nobody was missing a dog and I dismissed it from my mind as Somebody Else's Problem.
Then Monday evening as I was fixing dinner I got a call from another neighbor -- Willa, on our side of the mountain and just down the road. Was I missing a little brown dog? When I told her I wasn't, she said that she would take it in to a no-kill animal shelter the next day but could I possibly keep the dog overnight as her dogs weren't behaving nicely with the orphan.

With a feeling of inevitability, I climbed in the jeep and went to get the little brown dog. As soon as Willa put her in my arms, I realized that, after all, I had been missing this pup. 

And when I got her home and showed her to John and asked if we could possibly . . . he, too, bowed to the inevitable.

I named her Willa because it's a pretty name and because folks around here often name their animals for the person they got them from. Miss Susie Hutchins for instance, is named for my friend Sue. 

I think Willa's a nice addition to the pack.

Posted by Picasa

27 comments:

Ms. A said...

She's a beauty! Glad she fit nicely with your family and the pack.

Desiree said...

She is beautiful, Vicki! I am so glad to know she has found her own special forever home! I loved hearing about the way in which you instantly connected with and recognised her as your new best friend! You and your hubby are rescue angels!

Victoria said...

What a precious little being Willa is, and so lucky to have found her space in your heart and John's.

Martin said...

What a beauty! And what a fun time she's going to have on the farm.

Miss_Yves said...

Lovely!

JJ Roa Rodriguez said...

Very kind and generous of you! He is safe now in your care!

JJRod'z

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

She's adorable and who could resist that face. She absolutely does belong with you and John.
Sam

Thérèse said...

Willa is certainly lucky to have found such a nice place to live! Enjoy each other.

Christine said...

What a wonderful addition to your family! She's a beautiful little girl. Hope we'll be hearing more about Miss Willa in the future.

Kath said...

She is a beauty. And you are a beauty!

Brian Miller said...

i realized after all that i had been missing this pup...awww...that warmed my heart...beautiful new addition...

Jean Baardsen said...

Willa's lucky to have you and John. Congratulations! And on your new book release! Life is exciting....

Tammy said...

SEP's (Somebody Else's Problem)--yep, I know how that works. Bless you for realizing that Willa was family after all. When I first saw her, she sure reminded me of William! Lovely story, am so glad you have a new addition, she already looks like she fits right in.

On another note--my order from Amazon with your new book has been 'delayed' ---I'm hoping that means you had a stellar sell out day.

Tammy

BB said...

I love a good happy ending pet story. Thanks for taking in this beautiful girl. Love it.

Liz said...

Willa is a lucky girl! can't wait to meet her.

Tracy Golightly-Garcia said...

Hello Vicki

Willa is a lovely dog and you are very sweet to take her in.

Hope you are having a great rainey day! :)

Best
Tracy

~~Glad you had a safe trip back home last night--the rain was unreal on my drive back to Greenville.~~

Tracy Golightly-Garcia said...

Sorry--that's rainy day.

:)

Linda@VS said...

Aww, she's beautiful! Who could resist a face like that? Even your other dogs seem to know she belongs there with you.

Hope your book launch party was successful. I waited all day yesterday for Amazon.com to notify me that my copy had shipped, and was thrilled last night when that message finally arrived. Can't wait to get it.

Jill said...

Oh...what a cute cute little pup!! I am so glad that she found you. Great picture with the dappled sunlight.

NCmountainwoman said...

It was meant to be! Your little Willa is just what you needed.

Amelia said...

We can't wait to meet her! It heartens me to remember that there are always dogs needing to be loved and looking for a home. Welcome to fold, Willa!

June said...

AWWWW! A foundling! A Meant-To-Be!
Perfect. Happy happy! Willa is pretty and cute and looks like a little sweetheart!

Suz said...

I knew it..I just knew it

you're a luv

JC said...

No one missed that sweet dog. Does she have a chip or have you checked yet .. not sure I'd want her to go back from where she came from since they just let her roam.

Congrats on finding your new love.

Vicki Lane said...

Folks, thanks so much for all the good wishes and nice comments. I've been running behind -- just back from the writing workshop I lead on Wednesday nights. I'll come blog visiting tomorrow!

Stella Jones said...

Lucky dog, she's gone to a very good home. You will adore her before the end of the week! and so will the rest of the 'family'.
Great news Vicki. Welcome Willa and we will all enjoy hearing about her progress.

Brenda said...

Awww, what a great story! The part when you realized you had been missing her all along just warmed my heart all to pieces. :) Willa has a sweet face, love the pics of her meeting everyone. She does indeed look like she was meant to be part of the family!