Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Praise for Ordinary Things

I love my hard-working Felco pruning shears (or secateurs as some of you call them.)  They always go to the garden with me. Along with pruning branches or cutting flowers, I sometimes use them to dig a little hole, if I've  inadvertently uprooted a seedling and don't have my trowel handy. Or they're useful in hoicking out the occasional deep-rooted  weed.
Small wonder if the abused Felcos get a little gummed up and don't open and close smoothly.

I also love WD-40 oil. It makes those pruners work like new.


Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Ms. A said...

The wonders of WD-40!

Alan Burnett said...

You are right : we don't sing enough hymns nor paint enough fine portraits of ordinary things.

Marilyn & Jeff said...

Yes, it's the small everyday things that are important.

Martin said...

Those 'ordinary' things count for a lot, don't they?

JJ Roa Rodriguez said...

True... Thise ordinary things that makes our life easy and happy everyday, we oftentimes forget to appreciate. Thank you for reminding me.

JJRod'z

Pat in east TN said...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who finds their shears a multi-purpose tool!

Brian Miller said...

nice...def things we take for granted...and these are def useful....have my own can of WD40 that comes in handy often....

Judith said...

A morning chuckle. My Felcos are in a similar condition. I've been thinking all summer I should take a bit of steel wool and some mineral spirits and clean them up. (Only thinking about it, mind you.)

jennyfreckles said...

Which reminds me I must get mine out (WD40, not secateurs) to cure the squeaky hinge on the bathroom door. It's true it's easy to take ordinary things for granted.

Thérèse said...

Such a useful tool!
"Inox" is a nice alternative to wd40, it does not leave grease behind...

BB said...

When I bought my house in CT., the owner prided her rose bushes and left me pruners like yours. Those things worked for many other tasks too. My tenants are now using them! Fun post.

tipper said...

Great post-its nice when we find joy in ordinary things : )