Sunday, November 28, 2010

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie

You might want to make a note of this for next Thanksgiving. Or indeed, for any time. This is pumpkin pie for people who aren't all that crazy about pumpkin pie.  This is fantastically good pie. And here's the recipe, from my much used Southern Junior League Cookbook.

2 baked pie shells ( I think it's worth the trouble to make them yourself)


3/4 cups milk
2 cups canned pumpkin
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/ 8 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/3 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
5 egg yolks
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup cold water
5 egg whites
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup sugar


Caramelized almonds (see below)
Whipped cream  and grated nutmeg for topping



Heat milk with pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, and spices. Beat egg yolks slightly and slowly add hot mixture to yolks. Mix well and cook in double boiler till thick, stirring constantly.


Soften gelatin in cold water. Add to hot custard and stir till dissolved. Cool till it begins to thicken.


Beat egg whites till stiff but not dry. Fold into custard and cool a little bit but not till set.  Whip 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, adding 1/3 cup sugar and then folding into pumpkin mixture. Chill till very thick and pour into pie shell.  Chill (overnight) till set.


Top with more whipped cream, a sprinkle of grated nutmeg, and the caramelized almonds. 

(The original recipe called for butterscotch sauce as well but I don't know, that just seemed excessive. So this is practically a diet version.  

The pie can be frozen and is quite good that way. Also, the filling alone is a nice dessert, frozen or otherwise. )


Caramelized almonds


1/2 cup sugar
1 cup slivered blanched almonds


Stir sugar and almonds in heavy skillet over medium high heat till light brown. Spread on greased cookie sheet.  Break apart when crisp and store in airtight container.  Also really good on ice cream.



Posted by Picasa

20 comments:

Marilyn & Jeff said...

I have heard so much about Pumpkin Pie but have never seen or sampled one. It looks and sounds lovely, thanks for this Vicki.
I have been away so am just catching up on your previous posts and have enjoyed them all.

Martin said...

Vicki! What are you trying to do to me? I'm already having trouble, fitting into my trousers!

Bernie said...

I love pumpkin pie and this recipe sounds delicious so I have written it down....might even make it for Christmas, thank you.....:-)Hugs

Pat in east TN said...

I love anything pumpkin, so this recipe is a 'must try'. Thanks for sharing.

Brian Miller said...

mm...this sounds great and i think i could munch just on the almonds....

Miss_Yves said...

The cream that covers the pie seems to be ...snow !

BB said...

I'm sure it's a great pie if you are a pumpkin lover. Unfortunately I am not one of them. It looks great though!

PattyF said...

I love pumpkin anything and I've made note of quite a few variations on pumpkin pie over the years (not all of them appetizing). But this sounds absolutely decadent! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing it with us!

100 Thoughts of Love said...

one of my favorite cookbooks!

Kath said...

Having dried the drool off my keyboard, I'll respond to this recipe. I think you just saved Christmas!!! My husband and daughter love pumpkin pie for Christmas dinner, but they don't eat the leftovers. I think this year there will be no left overs! Thank you.
Kath

Liz said...

This looks and sounds yummy! Going to the recipe box as we speak!

Merisi said...

*rofl*
Thanks for giving us a diet version of that very fine recipe! :-)))

Merisi said...

What happens to the second pie shell?

Vicki Lane said...

Marilyn -- the cooked flesh of any winter type squash (Butternut?)would work --

But, Martin, this is the DIET version -- no butterscotch sauce!

Yes, Brian, the almonds are a great munch all by themselves. And so easy to make!

I'm okay with ordinary pumpkin pie -- but it always seems more like a vegetable than dessert. With this pie, there's no doubt -- it's Dessert!

Vicki Lane said...

This recipe fills two 8 or 9 inch pie shells, Merisi. Or you could just make and fill one and freeze the leftover filling for a ice-cream/frozen mousse treat later.

Louise said...

Oh, yum! I'm a terrible cook, so I'm afraid that the pie is beyond me. Might give those almonds a try, however.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Vicki, I love the caramelized almonds on this. I'm not a big pumpkin pie fan myself and often use sweet potatoes in lieu of pumpkin. For some odd reason, sweet potatoes don't seem as sweet as pumpkin to me.

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Sam

maría cecilia said...

My dear Vicky writer and cooker, wish I could try one of your pumpkin pies and read one of your books, or all of them!!!
cariños

Anonymous said...

I've just spent a few days here on the Gold Coast, Queensland with Fay and Skip and heard Fay talk about her pumpking chiffon pie!! She's promised to make it for me when i came to Virginia in April/May 2011. So looking forward to it. It sure sounds yum!!

Irene

Vicki Lane said...

It's worth the trip, Irene!