Sunday, November 21, 2010

After Dark . . .

"Law, it's been many a year since the last of the family died . . . and there it sits. Got a good roof yet but the woods'll take it afore long . . .

"It was a young cousin from away heired it. Come by one summer, oh, a good many years back of this, and told Lawyer Morgan he aimed to 'renovate' the place. Folks saw the young feller - a nice-looking somebody, they said -- that first day carrying his plunder up the steps in the late afternoon."
"Several days went by afore anyone noticed they hadn't seen him no more.  I believe it was old Miz Honeycutt down the branch who finally called the sheriff and said maybe someone had ought to take a look...

"Well, the feller's pickup was still there and all his things in it.  Sheriff's deputy rapped on the house door and it swung open. . . law, he said that he went up and down in that house but nare sign of that feller did he find. Said they was a sleeping bag laid out on the bed and a shirt and britches folded up on a chair beside it . . .

"Signs of a struggle? Naw, not a bit of that. But that boy was gone, clean as a whistle. The deputy unzipped the sleeping bag looking to see was there blood or such but there weren't none -- just a undershirt and a pair of drawers laying there kindly collapsed -- like whoever had  been wearing them had swivlled away to nothing.

They never did find out what went with that feller. And don't no one go near that place any more . . . especially after after dark."
Posted by Picasa

23 comments:

Judith Alef said...

Love this one! The structure really intrigues me and it seemed, at the time, so natural that a young guy would be jazzed to fix it up; but it wasn't the house that got fixed...

Marilyn & Jeff said...

Oh, so scary. I love your photos ...and story. Very scary! I don't think I will be taking a peek at this house.

Unknown said...

Woohoo. Great story. Good to tell on a night sleepover with the children!

Martin said...

Sounds as though the young man received the ultimate makeover!

Stella Jones said...

There's a strange story for you. Hmmm it does look like a spooky house too, just where a mystery wants to happen.
I love the blue hue on your spooky pics.
Blessings, Star

Pat in east TN said...

The spooky story, the creepy pictures ... I loved it!

jennyfreckles said...

I love this story and the house does look very mysterious. No doubt if anyone got the same idea now and tried to fix it up, there would be further strange goings on.

BB said...

Love it Vicki!!!

Brenda said...

Oooooo... toasted marshmallow anyone? This reminds me of sitting around the campfire, telling ghost stories. Fun!

Brian Miller said...

ooo...what a chilling tale....lovely...

Elora said...

I hear the wind keening through the walls...a hinge, alive, screeching and an incessant rapping inside....Love the photos! and the story-starter!

Elora

Folkways Note Book said...

Vicki -- Such wonderful photos of the old abandoned house -- and the story that accompanies it. -- barbara

Christine said...

Wow, that was great Vicki! Makes me want to hear more!!!

Kath said...

Yeow! A great ghostie story with wonderful photos!! Kath

Vicki Lane said...

Drove by this house last week and just had to take its picture. I don't know anything at all about it but I'm pretty sure no one's lived there since I first noticed it maybe 25 years ago. It just needed a story...

Inger said...

You are not going to believe this, but after I read the scary story, my screen went purple and froze. And I swear I had waited for all the 20-some items to download. A good and scary story, indeed.--Inger

Merisi said...

Wonder how I will sleep now, with that fellow ... well, you know, the pictures will lift me up, I am sure!
Good night from V.,
M.

Vicki Lane said...

Cue Twilight Zone creepy music...

Paul C said...

Wonderful how a real slice of life translates into enchanting fiction.

NCmountainwoman said...

We come across houses like this every now and again and I invariably make up stories about them. A long abandoned house must have a story and if we don't know it we are obliged to create it.

I absolutely loved yours!

Anonymous said...

I would say the kudzu got him but I see none.

Victoria said...

Wicked woman!! ;) You made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. That was a terrific story! Great pictures, too.

halloweencouple said...

Loved this!!!