Friday, November 12, 2010

Elizabeth's View

"The three big windows framed what could have been a delicate Japanese ink drawing -- all muted colors and simple lines, with hazy mountaintops poking through the low-lying fog like islands in a pale gray sea of mist." (from Art's Blood, p.411)

Our eastern view -- always changing, always gorgeous. In the morning the mist rises up from the river to produce lovely ephemeral scenes.

Being fortunate enough to live where I do, how could I not write about it? Elizabeth's house and farm are based on our house and farm -- 'write what you know,' they often say. And I have enough to remember already, with all these characters and pasts I've created; it's comforting to have to remember only (so far) that Elizabeth's house differs from ours in just two particulars. For one thing, Elizabeth has a mirror by her kitchen door (Signs in the Blood, p. 11).

Hey, it was my first book and I hadn't known that it's considered cliched and amateurish to describe a character by having him or her look in a mirror. Sorry. The other difference is that Elizabeth's sofas are still denim-covered whereas our denim-covered sofas were trashed by the dogs and have been replaced by leather. But then we have six dogs while Elizabeth, a saner woman than I, has only three.

This is a re-post from January 7, 2008.  Alas, I have only three dogs now. 









20 comments:

Martin said...

"..a delicate Japanese ink drawing.." Just what I was thinking, as I clicked on the image, before reading the text. Sheer beauty.

Marilyn & Jeff said...

Your photos are so very beautiful; I love it that they are Elizabeth's too. I could look at that view forever.
I read your note that you plan to make a recording - that would be wonderful but I certainly don't expect you to go to that trouble.

Reader Wil said...

You are right: the first photo is as delicate and exquisite as a Japanese ink drawing or waterclour.
I finished "The Day of Small Things" and it's a great book! I enjoyed reading it from the beginning till the very end.
Now I've started to read "Signs in the Blood" for the second time.As Birdie is also a character in this book, I wanted to reread her story to see what happened to Cletus.

Alan Burnett said...

Beautiful photograph : a triumph of line over colour.

Elora said...

Three dogs, leather sofas....no mirror, though.... but oh, the breathtaking views we have! We're so fortunate, all of us!

Elora

Pat in east TN said...

I would be glued to your views if I lived where you do, and nothing would ever get done!

I've always enjoyed your descriptions of Elizabeth's farm/home and can easily picture them in my mind.

Brian Miller said...

smiles. wonderful descriptions and great views...

Miss_Yves said...

Really, Your beautiful photos deserve to be compred with "a delicate Japanese ink drawing"

I enjoyed your lovely words about my post / Jumièges ,"moinillons et croisillons "

Miss_Yves said...

compared

BB said...

I can see how that view would inspire you. Just gorgeous.

Jean Baardsen said...

Ever so beautiful!

Stella Jones said...

Oh, I really enjoyed your description of Elizabeth in the mirror.
Don't apologise for that!!
The view is magnificent. You could never, ever tire of it, could you.
ps I will write about the differences between the Church of England and the American Episcopal Church in a future post Vicki. Thanks for asking.
Blessings, Star

Tess Kincaid said...

Stunning images. I love the layers of textures and colors. ((sigh)) Sorry your dogs are fewer these days. xx

Vicki Lane said...

Re recording -- it's something I'm been wanting to do anyway, Marilyn.

Wil, Of course, when I wrote that first book, I wasn't aware of Birdie's unusual past nor, indeed, of her 'powers.'

That view is the first thing I see in the morning as well as at every meal. It's the deep undercurrent of my life.

Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses said...

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!

Christine said...

Beautiful photos Vicki, I really enjoyed this post.

NCmountainwoman said...

Strange...Elizabeth lives in a house like the one our neighbors had when I was a little kid. The action takes place on their farm.

Oh, the photographs are indeed lovely.

Friko said...

I sincerely hope you still have the same wonderful views. (And Elizabeth too, of course.)

Suz said...

breathtaking views
...magical

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, yes, the view is mostly unchanged. At night we see maybe twenty five lights across the river valley where we saw five back in '75.