Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Heroes . . .


The Memorial Day remembrance of those who died fighting for our country has left me thinking of the three men in Portland, two of whom died defending a hijab-wearing teen and her African-American friend from the racist and anti-Muslim taunts of a deranged man.

(And he was seriously deranged -- fuller story HERE) 

By standing up for two strangers under attack, Ricky John Best, Taliesin Myrddin Namkai-Meche, and Micah Fletcher showed humankind at its finest.

Best and Namkai-Meche were murdered for their bravery; Fletcher was wounded in the attack.

May their memories be a blessing. And may we all be as brave. 



2 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

It brought the terrorism of our day to home, especially reading first off Namkai-Meche mother's letter on FB. As a mother of three grown boys, I've always wondered and worried about them standing up for one cause or another. That letter hit me hard, "my darling boy" and "behind the veil" are thoughts I could have expressed. So I got angry. Still seething that this happened. Can't everyone see how this is an extension of the horrible political attitudes?

Jime said...

We grow our own monsters here in America!! They are fueled by politics to act out what leaders subtly hint as hate.

Everytime I see this kind of horror I think of this quote: "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace." Jimmy Hendrix