Monday, June 3, 2013

Laid By


I spent Friday and Saturday getting the garden hoed...
 
. . . the tomatoes suckered and tied up ( these are Cherokee Purples -- there are two long rows of Romas lower down) . . . and the lettuce thinned.

John has been hoeing and tilling the potato patch and the garden is in good shape -- 'laid by,' as farmers used to call that point at which one could relax a little and just let things grow.  

When the crops were laid by was the traditional time for week long revivals with brush arbors and dinner on the grounds. 

For me, it's a time to go to grown up camp at J. C. Campbell Folk School where I'm teaching a class in writing fiction and my friend Shelia -- the one who helped me plant the maters -- is taking a herb-crafting class.

(I don't know what access I'll have to the Internet there so I'm scheduling these ahead.)
 
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Ms. A said...

I like that you aren't going to leave us totally without. Thanks!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

What a fantastic garden. Looks like you'll have plenty of tomatoes.

Sorry I'll miss you at the Folk School. We're away or we would have you out to dinner. We don't live far from there. Maybe next time.
Sam

Merisi said...

A truly beautiful garden, and sunshine, too!
Enjoy your time at the camp! ;-)

Brian Miller said...

still would love to take one of your classes some time...that would be fun...was helping my mom tend her garden yesterday

Vicki Lane said...

Well, I'm pleased to see I can get online -- will do a post soon about the Folk School.

Thérèse said...

Good luck with your class. Hope you will have time to relax on your way back next to your raised gardens.

Deanna said...

Two thumbs up on your beautiful gardens. Have fun teaching and enjoying your friends at folk school.