Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Three More Books




Due to lack of room in my baggage, I was very restrained in my purchase of books in Indianapolis but I managed to bring home three goodies . . .



A Duty to the Dead is the first of a new series by the talented mother-son teams writing as Charles Todd. It's set in England of 1916 (not 1016 as I originally typed!) and Bess Crawford, the protagonist, is aan engaging young woman serving as a volunteer nurse in France and later on a hospital ship.

I always enjoy visiting this time period and the Todds' writing is both rich and compelling.

Click on the book cover to visit their website and to learn more about this and their other books.




I've mentioned more than once how much I like Laurie King's books. This ninth entry in the Mary Russell series continues the high standard of writing I always know I'll find in King's work.

It could be read as a standalone but I recommend beginning at the beginning so as not to miss any of the fun in this clever, complex, layered, intelligent story of young Mary Russell and her mentor/partner/husband, the much older Sherlock Holmes.

This book is set in England (and Scotland) in 1924 -- earlier entries range from Palestine to San Francisco to India and beyond.

Click on the book cover to visit Laurie's website (one of the best I've seen.)









And here is a long postponed pleasure. I met Beverle a few years back and was intrigued by the setting and subject of her series. She writes about Titi Amato, an 18th century castrati singer in Venice.

Tito is a likeable protagonist who inhabits a fascinating world. I can see that I'm going to have to read the rest of the series.

Again, click on the book cover to learn more.






Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Merisi said...

I am surprised English women (and women in general) were allowed to serve abroad in the year King Aethelred died and the Danish gained the throne of England. Anyhow, it is a truly interesting period in European history and I can't wait to read your review!
The cover illustration is a bit unfortunate, they could have found something more fitting for early Middle Age.

Merisi said...

Please disregard my previous comment!
As soon as I had pushed the publishing button,
did it occur to me that I should have googled the book first. Sorry, of course, 1916! Everything's fine! ;-)
I was simply carried away by my love of the early history of England, especially the period of Aethelred II and the Danish period afterwards. I would have loved such a setting! ;-)

Margie’s daughter Leiny said...

Hi Vicki, you are a marvel to post so diligently and wonderfully each day. I love my visits to your posts and learn something new each time. The books sound wonderful and will make for great Christmas pressies. Thank you for posting. Hugs, Margie.

Pat in east TN said...

I love your recommendations, soooo my 'wish list' grows. I have to read more on my TBR pile, actually piles, before I order more.

Martin said...

Hi Vicki

Three more titles for consideration. Thank you. 'A Duty To The Dead' and 'Painted Veil' sound very appealing.

Vicki Lane said...

Boy, was I puzzled by Merisi's first comment -- till I looked at the post and saw my typo!

Carol Murdock said...

sounds like to me you brought back 3 good reads! I'm overwhelmed right now at the size of my TBR stack!! I have promised myself that I will BUY no more till it goes down. I will get enough from authors and publishers probably to keep it growning. I hope I can keep my promise but bloggers just recommend so many good books! I got a set yesterday of old books by John Parish that are about your area. :)

Merisi said...

I must admit I was a bit disappointed at first, a mystery thriller set in 1016 would have been truly interesting. ;-)

Beverle Graves Myers said...

Hi Vicki--

You picked a good "Tito" to start with. Painted Veil introduces Augustus Rumbolt, an Englishman who becomes Tito's friend and eventual brother-in-law, and also Liya, the love of Tito's life. Too, I had fun working up a fictitious secret society in the vein of the Freemasons or Rosicrucians.

Best,
Bev

Vicki Lane said...

Wow, Merisi, I'm impressed that the date 1016 was significant to you. (I know 1066 and that's about it in English history.)

There are mystery series set in ancient Rome and in Byzantium and in medieval England -- I don't know about 1016 -- maybe that's a job for Merisi!

Bev -- I'm delighted finally to have made Tito's acquaintance and look forward to reading the rest of the series.

Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses said...

Vicki - you chose some good ones in Indy! Wasn't it near impossible to keep it to a justifiable number?! I love that Laurie King series, and totally agree that they are best read in order.

Vicki Lane said...

Dang near impossible indeed, Kaye. As you know, I had only my laptop and a carry on size suitcase and I really didn't want to fool with shipping. I even gave away my five tickets for books, knowing there was NO MORE ROOM!