Wednesday, February 28, 2018

It WASN'T My Imagination!


Mystery solved! Last week I told you that when I looked at the picture above of the door on the building where I meet my classes, I had a sudden and strong feeling that I'd once stood just inside that open door.

I thought I remembered going to a feed store in the river district about forty years ago, but when I showed John the picture and the sign for Ned Wheeler's, he said, no, the place I was thinking about was called Williams.



So, when I met my class last night, I had a good look at a display in the lobby of the building which talked about its history -- and sure enough, the building was the same Williams. I hadn't seen the sign on the other side. (It was too dark to get a picture but I found the one below on the Riverlink website.)

And another memory came back -- I believe that forty some years ago there was a small table and a box containing white paper packets of tobacco seeds just inside the  front door on the left corner of the building below.

What's strange is that I've taught classes in this building before and have been in and out of it over twenty times. And it took that long for the memory to surface.

But, at least, now I know I wasn't imagining things.



5 comments:

Thérèse said...

Memory lane is way long...

Barbara Rogers said...

Isn't it weird how our memories work? My favorite technique I'm experiencing these days is the "can't remember the name or word" and my friends and I just keep on talking about something else, when "bam, there it pops out of nowhere" the word is available just as if we'd remembered it in the first place. Those neurons are shuffling around, it just takes longer these days!

Unknown said...

wow your intuition was correct, I'm impressed and you give me hope! xx

Anvilcloud said...

vindication

Jime said...

It is funny how couples have this memory clash thing. Joan and I have different memories of the same event or place or time frame. I have to say she is right most of the time. Maybe that's a good thing!