Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Osprey Sighting!


"Squirrel-huntin'" our neighbor used to call it -- driving along in a car while keeping an eye on the scenery. That's what I was doing yesterday morning  down near the river when a flash of white in a tree caught my eye. A crow was keeping an eye on a larger bird with lots of white on its head, chest, and legs . . .

This is a little traveled road and not a soul passed as I stopped to take a picture of what I guessed was an osprey  -- but I wasn't sure till I got home and put the pics on the computer and began to crop them. 

 Oh, yes, it's an osprey, I'm pretty sure!

These next two pictures are from the internet -- I'd need a much better lens to achieve a picture like this.  But what a gorgeous bird!
NOT MY PHOTO!
The osprey, also known as sea hawk, fish eagle, or fish hawk is found worldwide on every continent except Antarctica. About 24 inches (60 cm) in length with a wingspan of about 71 inches (180 cm,) it weighs from 2 to 4 plus pounds. Its diet is mainly fish -- the one I saw was just by the river -- when a fish is sighted, the osprey will hover momentarily over the surface of the water then plunge in feet first to grab its prey.

Now I have to keep my eyes open for signs of a nest. . . wouldn't that be nice? 

ALSO NOT MY PHOTO


15 comments:

Ms. A said...

I just saw my first one the other day (eating a fish) and my photos were terrible! I was so disappointed. *sigh

Hope you spot another one... I'll be expecting more photos from you!

Brian Miller said...

wow. that is awesome....i watch them through another friends blog...as they nest build...ha...

June said...

Lucky you!
What an impressive bird. Wingspan of 71"??? Wow. I would love to see one in flight!

KarenB said...

I love watching these when we are at the beach. They soar in wide, wide circles and then hover, hover, DIVE! You can always tell when it was a successful dive as they are much more clumsy and slower when they come up with a fish.

Barbara Rogers said...

So lovely, do hope you find a nest, because they come back every year if they like it there. I've seen lots in FL, but not many up in the Carolinas.

Lise said...

Osprey are amazing. We have them all along the river, with nest high in the pine trees. The nests are huge, and this time of year you can hear the chicks peeping. The last picture you posted is awesome.

NCmountainwoman said...

Lucky you! We have seen the rare osprey around here but never a nest or even prolonged sighting.

Jime said...

What a wonderful bird. Your last two photos are amazing. Thanks for sharing

Vicki Lane said...

THose last two photos aren't mine (as I said in the post) but were found on the internet. If I had a much better lens and a spare day and a bag lunch, maybe I could get such images....

Suz said...

how do spell..jealous

jennyfreckles said...

Wow, lucky you. They're rare and protected here.

Unknown said...

OMG I love your nature pics! I love to take nature pics and yours are really good! My favorite is the bird on the water, that is just so amazing and I would kill for a shot like that! I saw some sunset pics and loved those as well! I guess I found my new favorite blog ha ha :)

Vicki Lane said...

Those last two pics are NOT mine but grabbed from the internet..

Folkways Note Book said...

Wonderful sighting. You have really a sharp set of eyes -- he blends into nature so well -- barbara

Wayfarin' Stranger said...

Find the nest, Vicki, and I'll be over with my long lens.