Thursday, July 7, 2011

I Scream, You Scream. . .


...we all scream for ice cream...

 First milk your cow. You're going to need five cups of whole milk 
and four and a half cups of top cream (aka whipping cream.)
Have your hens been laying? You'll need six large eggs.
In a heavy saucepan, combine three cups sugar, one quarter teaspoon salt, and the five cups of milk. Cook, occasionally stirring, over medium heat till steaming. Reduce heat to low.

Beat the eggs slightly in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk half the hot mixture into the eggs and pour back into the saucepan. Cook over medium low till slightly thick, about three minutes. Remove from heat and refrigerate till very cold -- overnight is good.

When ready to make the ice cream, stir the four and a half cups of heavy cream and a tablespoon of vanilla extract into the chilled custard mixture. Pour into the canister of your ice cream freezer and follow the directions that came with the freezer -- you'll be needing plenty of ice and rock salt.

And when it's done, you'll have the most delectable old fashioned vanilla ice cream imaginable.  Well worth the trouble. We served ours with fresh peach slices and homemade pound cake.

Now I have my eye on a recipe for frozen custard that involves (gasp) twelve eggs, three cups milk, and six cups whipping cream . . .-
Posted by Picasa

24 comments:

Ms. A said...

Oh, gosh... looks good, but only if someone else makes it!

Victoria said...

Home made vanilla ice cream and fresh peaches...oh my gosh, that sounds sooooo good. And, since the ice cream was made with fresh milk and eggs...well, I'm pretty sure if I tasted that I would think I had died and gone to Heaven!

Martin said...

My waist size has expanded, just thinking about it. Yum, yum!

Margie’s daughter Leiny said...

Can you hear my screams all the way across the ocean! Hugs, Margie.

Pat in east TN said...

Ooooh my gosh but that sounds so good!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Now that's homemade ice cream. Fresh milk, fresh eggs - I can't imagine how wonderful it must have tasted. Food for the gods.
Sam

Brian Miller said...

nice...we just got a new ice cream church this summer...have yet to use it but...maybe this weekend...

KarenB said...

Oh, yum! Just . . .yum.

Louise said...

Oh my! Can I come to your house for dessert, please?

Christine said...

Save me a taste please! That sure did look good.

Tammy said...

Oh...you just brought back memories of the best ice cream in world at my Grandma Dugan's house. Made from fresh cows milk and fresh eggs, and hand cranked on their homemade ice cream maker. It was a long hard job, but there were plenty of us kids to take a turn (and one to sit on the contraption to hold it still). I can still remember the sharp tang of the rock salt and that first wonderful spoon of ice cream!
Tammy

Jill said...

I can not even imagine how good that is. Fresh cream, milk and eggs..wow!

Friko said...

And how many weeks on the treadmill afterwards to walk off the calories?

Luckily, your recipe leaves me entirely unmoved, I am lactose intolerant. So there!

Folkways Note Book said...

Vicki -- cooling post to match this HOT weather -- barbara

BB said...

Mmmmm, that sounds delicious.

JJM said...

Okay. Happens I'll be in your neck of the woods this Sunday. You do realize I'm now planning to make a side trip for some of that ice cream, right? ;-) --Mario

p.s. Just kidding, of course. But, oh my ... That does look good.

Thérèse said...

Would love to taste it full loaded of course...
Home made sorbets though, with less sugar, are my favorites.

Vicki Lane said...

It's a rare treat -- and we'll do a sorbet next.

Are you visiting Asheville. Mario? I'm going to be at Little Switzerland for a week beginning Saturday.

JJM said...

I'll be bypassing Asheville on my way down to Hendersonville, Vicki. My semi-annual trip down with my friend to visit her mother, whose age, interests, and general health determine and limit our schedule and activities. (Playing endless games of Scrabble, for the most part, and helping her watch Wheel of Fortune. [wry grin])

I'd make a side trip to Little Switzerland if I could, it would be so nice to meet you in person ... Some day, I hope. Some day.--Mario

JJM said...

(Little Switzerland looks like a great place, btw. Hope we get to read about your stay.)

Kath said...

Oh good grief, I've drooled all over the keyboard.

Desiree said...

Now this is completely unfair! How can you tempt us with all this freshly made, homemade icecream using all those fresh, homegrown ingredients and not share it with us! And we've no hope of ever making anything as delicious ourselves! It's just mean, Vicki!

Deanna said...

We were talking about making ice cream for the 4th... but it takes a bit of planning. It sounds wonderful! Especially yours because everthing is fresh. Yum!

tipper said...

YUM is what I say : )