Monday, July 25, 2011

Good Reading

Just as I was amazed and delighted with the book ROOM, told from the point of view of a five year old, by the end of page three. I had fallen in love with THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN, told from the point of view of a dog. 

It was highly recommended to me by several folks whose opinions I trust -- Pat in TN was one, I think -- but somehow I never got around to it. Then at Wildacres, Kathy, who was auditing my class. handed it to me. "Read this," she said.

It was one in the morning when I finished it and I really wanted to turn back to the beginning and reread it. But I waited -- I'm rereading it now --  over a week later.

Enzo is a charmingly dog-like dog, completely believable for someone like me who has spent her life anthropomorphizing dog behavior. His dog's eye view of his person, his person's wife and child and the situations that ensue is beautifully done.

This isn't a review -- you can find plenty of those on line -- this is just me telling you who are dog lovers, as Pat told me a few years ago, "You need to read this book."


Mention Larry McMurtry and most folks would think of LONESOME DOVE -- one of the best TV cowboys epics around.  Or TERMS OF ENDEARMENT or THE LAST PICTURE SHOW.  Those are, by the way, terrific novels as well as films. 

BUFFALO  GIRLS is the self-told story of Calamity Jane. She is near the end of her wild and most unconventional life, traveling with Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show.  This is a poignant but unsentimental look at the end of an era, written with McMurtry's fine blend of quirky but believable characters and historical detail.  There's a masterful twist at the end of this fine novel that I particularly enjoyed.
Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Ms. A said...

You have time to read, on top of everything else you do? Impressive.

JJ Roa Rodriguez said...

I must agree with Ms. A, finding time to read after all the things you do is remarkable...

Have a great week ahead...

JJRod'z

Martin said...

I'd love to read 'Buffalo Girls' but whenever I think of Calamity Jane, I only see Doris Day. That could be a problem.

Desiree said...

I am going to buy my daughter a copy of The Art of Racing in the Rain, Vicki. She is getting her new rescue puppy this weekend and will love this book.

Pat in east TN said...

I do love ANY book related to dogs, and remember that book as one of my favorites.

BUFFALO GIRLS sounds interesting .. yet another to add to my 'wish list'.

Brian Miller said...

i have read buffalo girls and enjoyed it...have racing in the rain but have not read it yet, thanks for the encouragement i will move it up the list...

June said...

I adored "Racing in the Rain." Adored it!
"A Dog's Purpose" is as good as that, or better, for seeing things from a dog's POV.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Added to my list! Have a grand week! Cathy

Friko said...

thanks for these; I like it when others recommend books worth reading.

NCmountainwoman said...

I thought "The Art Racing in the Rain" was the saddest book I have ever read. Rarely does a book touch me so deeply and not even the ending could bring me out of my funk. I look at my dogs through different eyes now.

Deanna said...

I love experiencing new books. Will be checking these out... you've not steered me wrong yet!

Pastor Perry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vicki Lane said...

Martin -- This is no Doris Day. This is more like the character depicted on the TV show DEADWOOD.

NCmountainwoman. I was definitely in tears by the end of Racing in the Rain -- but I still thought it was a happy ending. Having gone through end of life with many beloved dogs, I thought this was a pretty good resolution.

Mel said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I've had Racing in the Rain on my shelf for too long. My unread pile is ridiculous, and lately I've been reading new additions on my kindle so the pile just grows. Thank goodness Summer is made for reading!

Reader Wil said...

Thanks for the review of these books. I must read all of them! I remember Calamity Jane with Doris Day.I saw it several times and liked it very much.