Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Gateway

The internet is an amazing gateway to . . . well, almost everywhere. And everywhen, as well. I'm at work now on my book for 2009 -- what I think of as Miss Birdie's book even though it's tentatively titled The Day of Small Things. I'm trying to summon up the girlhood appearance of Aunt Belvy -- who was in her eighties when I wrote about her in Signs in the Blood -- so I Google 1930 - hairstyles - clothing.

And hey, presto, there it is! The bob, the Buster Brown cut -- just like pictures of my mother when she was a girl. I have the look I needed to write the character.

For this book I'm going to need to know about logging in the twenties, moonshine (called 'blockade' around here) in the thirties, rationing in the forties -- and for all of these, Google is my friend. I have lots of reference books on this area and I read them to lay down a base of knowledge. But for the odd question that pops up while I'm in mid-chapter --What, exactly, do brogans look like? -- the answer is literally at my fingertips.

While I'm on the subject, here's a link to the website of a friend and neighbor of mine.

www.robamberg.com

Rob's a well known documentary photographer who's spent about thirty years photographing the people and places of our county -- the inspiration for Elizabeth's Marshall County. (There's even a picture of and interview with Kathy, the woman who's the inspiration for Sallie Kate, Elizabeth's realtor friend.)

It's an amazing tool, the Internet. From Gypsy cobs and caravans, mountain curs and Cherokee magic to Polari and palmistry -- the only danger is in finding myself following link after interesting link till I've forgotten my original question.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Tammy said...

As always, I find your posts interesting and refreshing! I especially enjoyed the one about still be a 'stranger' after 30 plus years. :-) I had an Aunt Belva (Belvy) and Uncle Shelva (Shelvy), both passed away now. I always wondered where my grandparents got those names from. They just seem 'exotic' for this area and that time. So if you run onto the origins for these names I'd love to hear! (To clarify, I just wondered how a particular name 'made it' to an area...)
Tammy

Vicki Lane said...

Hey, Tammy, I've always thought that Belvy was a variant of Beverly -- though the only Belvy I knew around here was a man. An on-line source shows Belva as a as a popular girl's name at the turn of the previous century and suggests it's a variation of Belle.

Shelva -- never heard that one. Were Belva and Shelva brother and sister -- possibly twins? I've heard lots of those rhyming names around here -- Mearl and Pearl, Elsie and Delsie, Bonnie and Vonnie.

Clea Simon said...

Great post, Vicki, and I've now bookmarked your blog. Isn't the Internet amazing? Like being lost in the stacks of the world's largest library. But it does keep me from getting my own work done. Ah well, all a trade off.

Vicki Lane said...

Hey, Clea -- Thanks for coming by! Good luck with the new title!