Monday, June 27, 2016

Remembrance of Things Past


I was standing at the kitchen sink washing the dishes and happened to glance out the window at my left where I could see the tops of the hollyhocks and the thought came to me that somehow they looked just right, that now the picture was complete.

And then I wondered why I'd thought that.  

I looked again and then I remembered. It was a moment of not exactly deja vu more of a flashback. A snapshot of a time and place.

Nine or ten years old, I was sitting at the table in our breakfast room looking out the window to my left. At the tips of the pink hollyhocks blooming there.

And a flood of memories came back to me . . . my Girl Scout uniform, the glass of milk that was never cold enough, the longing for summer and the freedom it brought. . . 



7 comments:

Ms. A said...

I'd say that was a good flashback.

Frances said...

Vicki, very occasionally, I also have such moments. And I do treasure them.

Thank you for sharing this one. xo

Anvilcloud said...

There's a nice retro sort of look through the screen.

Juliet said...

Beautiful Vicki, a little excursion into memory. I've just been browsing your website which is really lovely, as is your blog.

katy gilmore said...

Just lovely - and how perfect to have hollyhocks.

Jime said...

Yes, once in awhile I remember my adventure in the woods at my house. They were thick lush and magical. Rbinhood and Lash LaRue were by my side.

Vicki Lane said...

Jim, I hung out with the Lone Ranger and Tonto. And sometimes Tarzan.