Monday, August 29, 2011

The Stranger You Seek

Amanda Kyle Williams is living the dream. After several novels published with a small press, her mainstream thriller The Stranger You Seek, caught the attention of the folks at Random House. And caught it in a big way --  what they call a Major Deal. Amanda scored a three-book, seven figure contract for her Keye Street series.

I didn't know all of this when my editor (Herself) sent me an Advance Reading Copy of TSYS back in January.  Herself asked if I'd read it and, if I liked it, provide a blurb -- one of those enthusiastic recommendations that appears somewhere on or in the book.
I'm always wary about providing blurbs -- some books just aren't my cup of tea. But I pretty much trust that if it's one Herself is editing, it will be good.


And it is!

Keye Street is a terrific protagonist -- a Chinese-American, adopted by white southern parents as a child, a  former FBI profiler whose career was cut short by alcoholism (she's a Diet Pepsi drinker now) -- Keye's a salty, funny, risk-taker whose work as a private investigator chasing bail jumpers and serving processes, puts her in touch with some of Georgia's less savory individuals. 

But the serious trouble comes when Keye is unofficially hired by an Atlanta police lieutenant, her best friend and secret crush,  to find a particularly awful serial killer who is leaving a bloody trail through Atlanta.  Things get personal when the killer begins sending notes to Keye.

There's lots of wonderful description of summer in Atlanta; there are some terrific, funny scenes with Keye and her family; and there's a plot that will truly keep you guessing. I really enjoyed getting to know Keye Street and will be looking for the next in this series.
You can read a really interesting article about Amanda HERE.   It sounds as if this success couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

The Stranger You Seek hits the shelves tomorrow, August 30.  If you like fast compulsive reading and a gutsy, semi-flawed protagonist, along with a Southern noir atmosphere, you need to meet Keye Street.

Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Martin said...

Noted. You know, I like the idea of the seven figure sum, but I'm struggling with one book, let alone the prospect of having to produce three. Did you find it any easier or harder, writing the second in your series?

Ms. A said...

Sounds like she's well on her way!

Pat in east TN said...

Sounds quite interesting, and I'm in-between books now, so this will be my next read.

Hurray for Amanda Kyle Williams ... it's always good to hear such success stories.

Thérèse said...

Hoping Amanda Williams reads your today's post...

Brian Miller said...

nice...always looking for a good read so thanks for the intel...

Vicki Lane said...

Yes, Martin, the pressure of having to live up to that advance could be staggering. But I suspect Amanda's book 2 is already done and she's on to book 3.

As for me, I found that the momentum kept me going and book 2 came rather easily. Since it was a continuation, there were still questions to be answered. And I noticed that Amanda had left several questions to be answered at the end of the book.

Novice Naturalist said...

I am so glad to see your response to this young woman's book and success. I had read Allison's piece on the Decatur blog. Sounds like this success has happened to a lovely hard working and, a big plus to my thinking, dog loving person!

Christine said...

This sounds like a very good read!

Louise said...

Sounds wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I bet I'll enjoy reading this, too! And it must say something about your name recognition as a good writer that you were picked to write a blurb!
Deana the Queena

Stella Jones said...

I am so new to American writers that I really value your opinions and your reviews Vicki. I was really lucky to hit on your books because you write in just the way I like. This one sounds a little too gutsy for me but I may give it a try.
Please feel free to expand on this line of Blog posts. I, for one, am listening!

Brenda said...

I enjoy the book reviews too, thanks! I love getting recommendations from avid readers and people whose opinions I respect. I've recently heard of several that were highly recommended so have started keeping a list! And I just finished one that I really enjoyed - State of Wonder. Ever heard of that one?

Reader Wil said...

That sounds good. You are doing well to promote these books.

tipper said...

Sounds like a good one-I'll add it to my list : )

Oh and btw I think you deserve one of those MAJOR deals : )

Susan M. Bell said...

This woman was a pet sitter before her VERY BIG DEAL. As a pet sitter/writer, that gives me a bit of hope.
:-)