Saturday, August 22, 2026

Death of the Author

                                         Death of the Author: A Stunning Africanfuturist Exploration of the Power of Humanity’s Greatest Creation: STORYTELLING

My older son suggested I might like this book so I leaped right in. It's pretty amazing--a dual story line that follows Zelu, a disabled Nigerian-American writer/wild child and her struggles with her larger than life and overly protective family, interspersed with chapters of the post-apocalyptic novel she is writing about the tribes of robots who have replaced mankind.

I found the Zelu story line totally compelling, especially for the insight into the  Nigerian/American family and community. Zelu's rise to best-seller status and her fight to be, not just independent, but untrammeled by her disability, was epic. And the peek at Igbo and Yoruba culture was fascinating.

For me, the robot sections were certainly thoughtful, especially in light of the growth of AI in our everyday life, but less compelling than the sections about the messy, exuberant life of Zelu.

Until the end. 

The incredible twist at the end left me breathless and needing to reread the entire book. Maybe even rethink reality as I perceive it.

An amazing book!


No comments: