Saturday, August 20, 2022

Memory Overload


Continuing on with the upstairs bookshelves--now I come to the picture albums.  My maternal grandmother's wedding album, ditto my parents, ditto mine and John's. Scrapbooks and yearbooks and photo albums reaching back to my childhood through our life together--till the time all my photos became digital and never got printed.


At present, I'm just trying to dust and organize the albums by year--eventually I may try to edit them considerably, getting rid of repetitious stuff. But it's exhausting mentally, al the memories and the time jumps.  


The two above are my paternal grandparents--much younger than when I knew them.


My parents in 1941--in the dining room of my grandparents' house. Twenty-two years later, John and I would cut our wedding cake in that same room--a cake baked by the same lady in the same cake pan.


Guests at my parents' wedding.


John and my grandmother at our wedding reception. And guests--including Mayor Julian Lane (a cousin) chatting with my grandfather.

A long time ago in a galaxy far away...








 

6 comments:

Sandra Parshall said...

Keep these for your grandchildren. Someday they will be interested, if not now. A time comes when most people want to know where they came from and who their forebears were. It's a shame that digital photography, wonderful in so many ways, is robbing people of family albums. Josie's childhood deserves an album of its own.

Barbara Rogers said...

Yes indeed. I decided to give most of my photos in albums to my sons, in albums of each of their lives...which meant some duplication of course. So very little is left of photos. I have also scanned photos from both my parent's albums, and threw away the physical ones. That was a hard choice...but they photos are stored safely (I hope.) Being the main family chronicler for ancestor information, I'm glad to have saved a lot in the family names on the tree at Ancestry...as well as many stories on blogs here. Both seem more fragile to me, like how Blogger decides to change things, but I hope one or the other will still be available for any family descendants who want to see them. Loved seeing your grandparents and your parents' weedings.

jennyfreckles said...

It’s a really hard job sorting through old photos. I have lots and keep thinking they’d be of more interest to the next generations if they were scanned and written up into a book. It’s a great idea - that so far I’ve done nothing about!

Anvilcloud said...

You do have treasures there.

Marcia said...

While you can remember who is who, you should be sure that photos have labels. It's a mistake we all make that we will remember who it is in the photo, then forget or fail to label for the next generation to try to figure it out.

Vagabonde said...

It is quite a job of work (like they say in GA) to go through these old albums and photos. It’s nice to remember the people in them but then it’s hard to know what to do with it all. At least you know most of them. A couple of years before he died my cousin from Egypt sent me a bunch of my father’s family photos. Most of these are written in Armenian so I have no clue who they are or where they were taken, so – what to do? Then apart from my mother’s family I also have my late husband’s family photos, like his father’s football and college photos. In addition there are bunches of boxes of photos I took with my old film cameras. As we get older, I guess everyone has to go and sort through all these mementos.