Sunday, July 14, 2019

Return from Wildacres


Back from the Magic Mountain to my own home mountain -- which has plenty of its own magic.


It was a terrific week with a great class and lots of inspiring writers, musicians, actors, performers . . . folks at Wildacres writing workshops work hard but they play harder. . . It can be kinda exhausting for someone used to a quiet life.


In the middle of the week, Claui brought Josie up for a visit. Tucked between my dormitory building and the studio where my classes were held was what Josie declared "a perfect little play ground!" She played and then Claui and Josie and I went down the road for lunch at the Little Switzerland cafe.

I regret not getting a picture as Josie was so grown up -- eating her grilled cheese sandwich and being very much one of the "ladies who lunch."  

I was also surprised to learn that, unbeknownst to me, Josie has a number of admirers in the Wildacres crew who know her from this blog. 

I'll be talking in the coming days about some terrific books by Wildacres folks that I read this past week. I always feel so fortunate to be among such talented folks -- sometimes I feel like a bit of an impostor amidst these college professors and MFAs. 




But the lovely thing about the Wildacres Writing Workshop is the absolute equality among writers -- from the rankest beginner to the long time professional. We're all there to share what we know and to learn from one another.  And somehow, it works.


2 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Welcome home...I've had lunch at that same cafe in Little Switzerland...and passed by the sign to Wildacres on my way down the mountain. So glad you had a rejuvenating time in the woods. Yes, Josie will find fans all over the world now!

NCmountainwoman said...

So glad you had such a lovely time, but I know it is always nice to get back home. Wonderful that the kids brought Josie. She is really growing up.