Saturday, March 24, 2018

And the Spring Cleaning Begins . . .




Even though there's still snow in the shady places, it's feeling like Spring and that urge to clean has come upon me. I know, I should fight that urge, but we'll be having house guests next week and the fact is it needs doing -- out of the way places are teeming  with cobwebs, dog hair, cat hair, and dust, plus the bodies of many, many defunct ladybugs -- are everywhere.

I devoted yesterday to the bedroom -- which tends to get short shrift when we clean and vacuum the other parts of the house -- off went all the bed clothes for a wash, out went the pillows, the quilt, the light blanket, and the duvet to air in the sun. 

John obliged by turning the mattress and I moved on to the most challenging part of the operation -- putting the clean duvet cover -- about twenty pounds of flannel -- back on the duvet.


Over the years I've found a way that works for me -- lay the duvet on the bed, turn the cover inside out, put a hand in to one of the top corners then grab the corresponding duvet corner and attempt to slip the cover on. Repeat with other top corner and, unless you panic and think you've got it all wrong (as I sometimes do,) the cover will slide over the duvet most satisfactorily. 

Then, of course, you're supposed to pick it all up and give it a shake to distribute the duvet within the cover but it would take a taller and stronger person than I to do it with my duvet combo ( did I mention the cover weighs forty pounds? At least. Plus, by this point, there's usually a cat or two sitting on the nice clean cover and it would be unkind to disturb them.)

But, looking for a video to describe my method, I found this --
the California Roll method HERE. It looks much easier -- probably any of you with duvets and covers already know about it. 




6 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Since our laundry room is in a separate building than all our apartments, when the weather is dry and almost warm, like yesterday, lots of us did some trips to get clean linens and clothes. So I slept in a clean bed last night. Glad I don't do a duvet, it does look challenging!

Sandra Parshall said...

I noticed the duvet cover gained 20 pounds in the course of your short blog. 😄

Vicki Lane said...

That's certainly how it seems as I wrestle with the thing.

Thérèse said...

It's always a fight here too but I learnt on how to ask for help and since then it's easier.

katy gilmore said...

Well I just watched the video, put the duvet cover in the wash, and can hardly wait to try the California roll!

Juliet said...

I love that moment of welcoming in spring with a good cleanse and a shake out. Here in autumn, I've also been giving the bedding a good air in the warm autumn sun, but in the opposite season, preparing for winter. Now I'm going to watch that video to learn the duvet magic. Happy spring days Vicki!