Thursday, February 18, 2016

School Days, School Days . . .


Tidying up a cabinet of family mementos, I spent a little time looking at this picture. It's a group of students in front of a one-room school in China, Alabama -- in the early years of the last century.


That's my paternal grandfather, Victor Huborn Northcutt, in the middle of the back row. He was born in 1892 -- I don't know how old he is in this picture. I do know that he finished the eighth grade . . . and sometime later took a course in a business college and went on to a distinguished career in banking.


I'm guessing this is the teacher -- Miss Corina Belle Morris? Monrow?



But it's hard to be sure -- she could be one of these two. Back then, if you'd passed eighth grade, you could teach eighth grade -- and all those below it. Teachers could even be younger than their students. 


I love the pinafores and ruffles on the younger girls.



And look at the range of ages. . .  and outfits.



There's even a barefoot boy with attitude!


5 comments:

Ms. A said...

I love nostalgic old photos!

NCmountainwoman said...

I'm with Ms. A. I love old photographs even when I don't know the identities of the people. I have several photographs of my grandmother and her students. In the early ones she looks younger than many of the students. In the later ones I can identify some of my aunts and uncles among the students.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great photo Vicki, and I must say it has the autobiographical twist of several faces being enhanced by Dali-esque features...must have been people on the "outs" from whomever owned the photo at one time.

Carol Crump Bryner said...

Looking at old family photos is a great pastime. The scarcity of photos from those days makes each one more special. I, too, love the outfits they're all wearing, and I wonder if they were dressed up specially for picture day, the way kids do now on school photo days. My mother cherished a photo from 1923 of their one room school. The teacher and children are lined up from tallest to shortest in front of the school, all dressed in warm coats and leggings.

Jime said...

Old photos. Thanks for sharing them.