Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Easy Pork Salsa Verde Casserole


This is a quickly assembled casserole that is just the thing for a chilly evening.  

(Well, quickly, assuming you already have the slow cooker pulled pork made. I cooked a Boston Butt a few weeks ago by a recipe for pork carnitas RECIPE HERE and had 3 or four cups of the meat leftover.)

What you need to make a casserole to serve 5 or 6 is the pulled pork (I added some of Justin's smoked jalapeno hot sauce,) 12 corn tortillas, grated cheese (I used the Mexican mix,) a bottle of salsa verde and one onion, chopped.


Grease the bottom of the casserole and dribble in a bit of the salsa verde. One by one, heat the tortillas in a skillet till they've acquired some brown spots and a bit of crispness. Put six of them in the bottom of the casserole, spread on some pork, half of the chopped onion, grated cheese, and half the salsa verde. Then repeat the layering, but put the salsa under the cheese this time.


Bake at 350F for an hour.


Serve topped with sour cream and cilantro and a green salad on the side. A Mexican beer would be nice too.


9 comments:

Ms. A said...

Sounds like something my family might go for!

Anvilcloud said...

Looks very good but sounds pretty hot to me. I don't do hot too well.

Vicki Lane said...

Not very hot at all if you choose a mild salsa.

Frances said...

Vicki, your casserole looks really delicious, but I don't think I'd call it "easy." I am becoming a very lazy cook, and welcome inspiration like this post to get some new recipes into my portfolio.

Thank you! xo

Jime said...

I'll take two (2) helpings please

Barbara Rogers said...

How lovely...and I can make a one serving replica, with a tortilla, some left over chicken, some fresh avocado and maybe edible tomato, cheese which is in the freezer, and drizzle some kind of salsa over the whole thing. See, nothing at all like your great sounding recipe, but I can fool myself anyway!

Mel said...

This looks delicious, and I have all the ingredients! I was planning on cooking the pork this week and always struggle with new and exciting ways to use it up. Thanks for sharing :)

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Looks like the perfect dinner for a cold evening. Wish I had some pulled pork in my refrigerator :)
Sam

plasterer bristol said...

Yummy this recipe sounds delicious, Thanks for posting.

Simon