Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The Dance of the Cosmos


Not the heavenly Cosmos of the astronomers but these simple garden flowers -- pretty heavenly in their own right. . .



"The things by which our emotions can be moved -- the shape of a flower or a Grecian urn, the way a baby grows, the way the wind brushes across your face, the way clouds move, their shapes, the way light dances on the water, or daffodils flutter in the breeze . . ."


The quote is from Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams.


I take a lot of pictures of things that move me -- some are easy to delete -- badly out of focus or lacking the touch of light that brings things to life.


And then I try to be selective in what I put on the blog. Merisi of Merisi's Vienna for Beginners often limits herself to three perfect shots; Jennyfreckles of  Salt and Light  usually has just one.

I marvel at their willpower. 


I can't do that because I always find something compelling in the less than perfect shots (not that there are many 'perfect' ones.



Whether it's the languid droop of a petal, the play of shadows, the hidden bee, the background . . .



The jut and thrust of a stem . . .


The pairing that looks like a lovers' quarrel . . .


No, I can't be a purist. 
Not when I keep finding more to like in each picture.


7 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm so very glad you didn't just select one, or three. All of these bring me joy! So I'm very very HAPPY to see your photos! Just keep on clicking!

Kath said...

All perfect photos! Telling beautiful stories, making the world just that much better. Thank you.

Jime said...

The love for these flowers shows through in your photographs. Please keep sending them.

Frances said...

Vicki, I do admire the elegance of Merisi's posts but have to also admit that sometimes...more Is more.

Your views of the Cosmos are all very welcome to my eyes.

xo

jennyfreckles said...

All exquisite in their own way. I guess I often just have one photo not because they are in any way perfect, but just to spin the story out longer! Each of yours has its own story but put them together and you create a whole chapter, and you are masterful at that.

Ms. A said...

These are all gorgeous shots and I'm loving the bokeh, too!

Anvilcloud said...

The earthbound Cosmos are also very nice. I used to let them grow willy nilly in our [somewhat] larger former abode. Maybe if I ever get the backyard in shape here, I'll plant them again.