Saturday, April 20, 2024

Pickled Onions


I was planning on a no-meat supper--field peas on rice with greens and a kind of corn cake on the side. But it just wasn't inspiring me till I thought of pickled onions--a perfect taste accompaniment as well as a nice shot of bold color to jazz up the meal.
                                                                             

And they're quick and easy to make. Do a bit ahead so they can spend an hour or so in the fridge. 

Here's how:

1 red onion
1/2 c cider vinegar (or rice vinegar)
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar (or honey)


Slice the onion very thinly and shove slices into a glass jar (I used a quart size.) Combine the other ingredients in a small saucepan and heat till salt and sugar are dissolved. Take a taste and adjust the salt/sugar to suit your own taste. Pour heated liquid into jar, making sure onions are covered. Refrigerate at least an hour. Keeps about three weeks. 

I can eat this right out of the jar. Or on cottage cheese or in a cheese sandwich or on a burger or a taco. 

I could probably eat it on vanilla ice cream.
                                                                                           

5 comments:

Sandra Parshall said...

I didn't know onions could be pickled so quickly. I thought the process took a long period of sitting in the jar.

Vicki Lane said...

Nope--an hour or so and they're ready to go.

Barbara Rogers said...

Can't wait to try this! Sounds so yummy.

Marcia said...

Dan not big on pickled items so I would have fried or carmelized these to top the peas and rice.

jennyfreckles said...

You're making me hungry now!