Thursday, June 23, 2022

Hot Weather Cooking


Hot days and nothing sounds better to me than a salad.  This one is spinach, cucumber, yellow bell pepper, grape tomatoes, and red onions, topped with a couple of crab cakes sauteed in butter and the whole drizzled with homemade ranch-ish dressing and a squirt of Sriracha. With some leftover focaccia on the side.

The crab cakes are from the grocery store freezer. They're tasty but are mainly bread. Very few crabs were involved. I keep them around for a quick meal. 

The salad dressing evolved from my trying to clean out the blender after making mayo. After I've removed the easily get-at-able mayo to a jar,  I chop up three of four cloves of garlic and add some herbs--fresh oregano, parsley, and basil in the summer--dried dill in the winter. Add to the blender jar where a fair amount of mayo is lurking. Dump in a bit of yoghurt and whir it all up--makes a delicious dressing that doubles as a vampire repellant. 

4 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Summer cooking hereabouts is rather hit and mostly miss.

Barbara Rogers said...

Nice way to come up with a dressing for a yummy salad.

Marcia said...

I've been favoring salad bowls which include rice or quinoa on top of greens maybe then some chicken and sauteed veggies. Tonight it's a quick stir fry. Our hot days are in the forecast starting Sunday.

Being from Maryland, crab cakes from the grocery freezer section just don't measure up.

KarenB said...

" Very few crabs were involved. " Made me snort!

Sounds yummy, although I can't think of a food you've posted that I didn't think "sounds yummy" about!