Friday, October 20, 2017

The Apparitionist


The Apparitionist-National Ghost Story Competition 

To embrace and honor the heritage of storytelling in Western North Carolina, Tryon Arts & Crafts School (TACS) is initiating this exciting National Ghost Story Competition. Winning stories will be read to an audience on Halloween evening, October 31st, 2017, 7 PM, at TACS, 373 Harmon Field Road, Tryon, NC.

Back in July I saw this announcement in a newsletter for writers and realized that a story I had written several years ago to read to my fellow campers at Wildacres Writing Workshop might be just the thing.  

The guidelines said that the story should include a ghost, spirit, paranormal activity, mysterious circumstance, or a folklore tale that could be perceived as a ghost story.  It also said that the winning stories would be selected by Jack Sholder, director of  Nightmare on Elm Street II (and many other horror films) who should know from scary.

Done. I had just the thing. I spent some time polishing it then sent it in. 

Lo and behold, on Tuesday I got a call saying that my story had won first place!  So I'll be heading to Tryon on Halloween to read "The Bargain" to an audience.  

As a matter of fact, on this blog post HERE, you can see when I first began the story, some seven years ago. 

I believe that the story in its entirety will eventually be posted on the Tryon Arts and Crafts School site -- probably after Halloween. I'll let you know when that happens.


So glad I finally finished it!.





10 comments:

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Congratulations, Vicki! Well done. So glad for you. I'll look forward to reading it later.

Anvilcloud said...

Congratulations.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh how great for you! Enjoy Tryon, the festival, and being in the limelight reading your work!

Bernie said...

Congratulations my friend, only wish I lived closer so I could hear you read it. So happy for you, xx

NCmountainwoman said...

How wonderful! I'm delighted for you. I''m quite a fan of scary stories and I'm delighted there are so many wonderful stories for children now.

I know you will have a great time at the festival. It's a special honor given all the marvelous tales in our state.

Misty Barnes said...

That's awesome!!!

GPearson said...

Wonderful news! I would love to hear you read the story! Can't wait to read it! Congratulations!

Carol Crump Bryner said...

Hurray! That's very cool. Have fun reading it on Halloween.

Thérèse said...

Awesome!
Have a nice time reading it for Halloween.

Jime said...

Well you've got me. You have bated the hook and I want the rest of the story please.