Wednesday, May 24, 2017

And Now for Something Completely Different


A Black Vulture (and a road-kill groundhog.) 

As I was driving to the grocery store on Monday, I saw a flock of these birds, maybe twenty, at the roadside and was amazed. We have lots of Turkey Vultures -- much bigger with red-wattled heads -- but the only place I've ever seen these guys was at Wakulla Springs in north Florida. (Justin tells me that they are common at the compost facility where he works.)

Anyway, I failed to get a shot of the flock but on my way back home this solitary specimen was obliging.


I think he or she is actually kinda handsome.


'Enough is enough,' he or she said.


'Move on. Nothing to see here.'


3 comments:

KarenB said...

Certainly better looking than a turkey vulture -- although even those look lovely soaring in wide circles high up in the sky.

Thérèse said...

Nice catch, should I say catches?

Stella Jones said...

I've never seen one of those over here Vicki and I must say, I feel very sorry for that groundhog. It's a good way for nature to clear up, I suppose.