Thursday, April 27, 2017

Stumbling Through a Dark Wood


As some of you may remember, for a while now I've been trying my hand at short stories  -- feeling my way to what sounds right to me. So many modern stories are dark and brooding and angst-filled and that doesn't come naturally to me. But I write what I like and have submitted a few here and there  -- with no takers so far. Probably due to a lack of angst.

About a year ago I blogged (HERE ) about a story I was working on. I loved the main character and am happy to say that "Vondalee Puts On Her Cat Eye Glasses" was named a finalist in the NC Literary Review's Doris Betts competition. 

Alas, that doesn't mean they'll publish it -- but it's part of a linked series of stories that I'm working on and hope to find a home for eventually.

(No, no news as yet about the Civil War novel  . . . again, alas. But this was a bit of bright news.)

10 comments:

Thérèse said...

So all together it's good news. Good luck to you.

Barbara Rogers said...

Keep on doing what you're good at doing...I'm sure that's a Zen saying somewhere! The title of Vondalee's story is great, so I'm sure it must live up to it. Angst is overrated in literature, in my humble opinion.

Anvilcloud said...

All the best to you. I find it odd that an established author, such as yourself, has trouble getting published.

Vicki Lane said...

Short stories and novels are way different.

Unknown said...

I followed the link to read the opening of "Vondalee Puts on her Cat Eye Glasses" and I liked it! There are TONS of journals, print and online that accept short stories of varying lengths and sensibilities. The challenge is finding the right match. You SHOULD write what you like and what interests you--that's where your energy is. You'll also probably end up submitting to the journals you like to read. There are many possibilities for submissions because there's many different readers--not everyone wants to read 'dark'. Humor is hard to write and obviously you've written a strong character in Vondalee. Being a finalist of 150 entries is an accomplishment.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

You're doing all the right things: entering contests, submitting, and most of all, writing, writing, writing. It will happen.

Carol Crump Bryner said...

That's very nice news. Congratulations, Vicki. It would be great to see your stories published. Good luck!!

Jime said...

Just remember we know you are good. Here's wishing you every success. Persistence is the key to success.

NCmountainwoman said...

I LOVED the Vondalee story. Hope it does get published so other people can enjoy it.

katy gilmore said...

Yay Vicki - very good news!