Sunday, October 25, 2015

Playing Mother Nature


The cactus-flowered zinnias were such a success this year that I made an effort to save seeds.


As you can see, I have a system of sorts  . . .


Trying to ensure that I'll have a nice mix of colors next year . .


Each color goes into its own envelope


As I sat there, pulling the dried seed heads apart and marveling at the intricate structures revealed . . .


I had a vision of Mother Nature, packing away her bright summer wardrobe with a little sigh . . . but anticipating bringing it out anew next year . . .


(Fuchsia -- not what you may have been thinking.)


7 comments:

Frances said...

Viciki, I like the photographs you've taken of your seed-saving process very much. Wonderful shapes, and as you say, flowers have very complex infrastructures. Mother Nature is really something!

xo

Barbara Rogers said...

What a clever woman you be! Just hoping they didn't get cross pollinated with a neighbor, but you are the botanist here! I think I had two plants from seeds which I saved last year...but don't remember colors. And of course I sowed the entire seed head in the area I hoped to have lots of zinnias. They sure are a cheerful flower.

Vicki Lane said...

Barb, you're right -- they may well have been cross-pollinated -- at worst there'll be a glorious jumble!

Jime said...

Cross pollination gives diversity to all of nature.It may be the answer to our human conflicts.

Thérèse said...

You are such a "seeds savior."!

Stella Jones said...

Well I've put my summer wardrobe away. I kept a couple of dresses out just in case the weather turned warm again. It did, but not warm enough so those dresses and a few other things are going in the Cedar chest very soon!

I love keeping seeds from one year to the next. I hope yours are as nice next year as this...

Anvilcloud said...

Cool photos and nice planning.