Monday, February 4, 2013

Snowy Morning Breakfast


I think it's a survival mechanism -- cold and snowing? Time for calories and comfort food!

These are Sour Milk Pancakes from my Gasparilla Cookbook -- I've been making them for almost fifty years. They are thin, much like crepes, and we like them with home-churned butter, lingonberry preserves, and hot sausage on the side.

Sour Milk Pancakes

2 cups flour... 1 teaspoon baking soda...1 tablespoon sugar... 1 teaspoon salt... pinch nutmeg...
2 eggs... 2 cups sour milk (see below) or buttermilk...2 tablespoons melted butter

To sour sweet milk, put 8 teaspoons vinegar in a measuring cup and fill with milk to the 2 cup level.  Sift, then measure flour (I skip the sifting).  Sift again with baking soda, sugar, salt, and nutmeg. Beat eggs till fluffy, combine with milk and melted butter. Add dry ingredients and beat till smooth. Bake on greased griddle (I use a well seasoned iron skillet) turning each cake when brown on the underside and before bubbles burst on the top. Turn only once. Serve immediately.  Serves two hungry people with some left over for the dogs.
  
Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Martin said...

Looks like an ideal 'winter warmer'.

Thérèse said...

The best way to "fill up" the batteries when it's snowy outside.

Juliet said...

what a contrast: the warm, colourful comfort of your pancake meal, and the cool monochromatic scene outside the window.

Friko said...

I go with muesli, summer and winter. Very boring.
But in cold weather I do a warming lunch or supper. Comfort food is excellently suited to brighten the mood on gloomy days.

Brian Miller said...

oh my...i could go for a hearty breakfast this morning to knock off the chill a bit...smiles.

Kath said...

Well, there goes my diet! YUM! what a way to go!

Deanna said...

Those sound delicious.

Vicki Lane said...

This was a rare treat and indulgence. And so filling that I skipped lunch altogether.

JJM said...

Talk about Blue Plate Specials! (^_^)

--Mario R.

Stella Jones said...

Perfect. I could just eat some now don't you know!

NCmountainwoman said...

Yummy! I'm going to try them this weekend...snow or no snow.

Suz said...

faint

Folkways Note Book said...

What a fantastic view from your breakfast chair. Home churned butter? Who does the churning? I love winter as it brings a cold freshness to the air and we can huddle in the warm house doing whatever we like.-- barbara

Vicki Lane said...

Barbara -- my son and his fiancee are the milkers and churners.

Merisi said...

The view, the pancakes, I wished I were there! ;-)

I don't sift flour either, I simply stir it with a wire whisk before measuring (preferable the Swedish kind), to air it a bit.