Monday, December 24, 2012

The Guessing Game


The most grueling part of Christmas preparation is almost over --- the cards on the family gifts have been written.

The presents under the tree are for John and me, Ethan and Aileen, and Justin and Claui. Don't be fooled by the amount and the size of the boxes -- we tend to exchange very practical gifts and often ask for wish lists so we don't   give stuff no one wants.

Where's the fun in that? I hear you saying. 

The fun comes in the gift cards. Our tradition (which I gave to Elizabeth's family in IN A DARK SEASON) is to label the boxes with the recipient's name and a conundrum or a puzzle that tells what the present is.  If one can remember what one asked for, one has a better chance of guessing. But the creators of the riddles are there to give hints and they do.

The gifts are opened slowly, one at a time, as the riddles are guessed or revealed. And when you've guessed the meaning of "A left cross! And an upper jab!" that pair of socks is a bit more fun.

The following are on some of the labels under the tree --

"Successful  followers of the Atkins Diet" (hint -- it's a DVD)

"From the closet of the King of Tarts"

"Large domicile for canis lupus"  (hint -- a best selling book)

"Mack lent his to Dinah after strumming on the ol' banjo"

"Made by some Yiddish-speaking molluscs while listening to Bach" (not a practical gift, this one)

 Welcome to our silly, nerdy world.

 You are welcome to guess and I'll reveal the answers in the comments but ONLY after the family has had their Christmas mental exercise on Christmas Day.
 
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Ms. A said...

There was only one I thought I might have a clue to... until you said it was a book.

Thérèse said...

How fun! Have a super nice Family Season with most of the wishes fulfilled...

Miss_Yves said...

Cool!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Love your riddles. What a great idea.

Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and the happiest of new years Vicki.
Sam

Brian Miller said...

ha, what fun....you got me stumped....have a wonderful christmas vicki!

Barbara Rogers said...

Clever people don't just say 'happy Christmas from...' goodness those riddles are difficult, though I guess if someone had a list that would limit the answers. Have a very good time unwrapping whatever they are! Laughter is peeling down the valley.

Stella Jones said...

Oh that's so cruel! I wouldn't be any good at that at all. However, I know someone who would be, someone who does a cryptic crossword every day! I'd love to have that sort of mind.
Happy Christmas.

Tammy said...

Merry Christmas Vicki! We don't do the riddles, but we exchange lists and buy practical or wanted gifts--modestly priced (if that is possible in this day and age). We enjoy used and old---the fun is in getting together, knowing someone thought of you and slowly opening the gifts!

Glad to hear you are on the mend too.
Tammy

Frances said...

Vicki, I do like the fun that you all add to the gift tags.

Let me again thank you for all the pleasure I've had reading your posts this year. Your remind me of some of my roots, and and also help me celebrate my "branches."

Merry Christmas!

Victoria said...

I love this idea, I think I'll try it for next year. I hope you and your loved ones have a Merry Christmas, Vicki!