Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Guest Room

As I made up the bed  in preparation for the arrival on Friday of the first of our guests for the weekend, I was thinking about about guest rooms I've stayed in.

Some have been quite posh -- complete with fruit basket, fluffy terry robe, and lovely toiletries -- others have been less so but still quite welcoming and comfortable.

The one thing I really like in a guest room, beside a reasonably comfortable bed, is a decent bedside reading light.
When we first moved here to the farm, I was asked to spend the night with Louise Freeman, our neighbor down the hill. Her husband was going hunting that night and she didn't like being left alone.

So after supper I walked down to their house. Louise and I sat and visited, talking of gardens and canning, and this and that as the evening dusk turned to night.

 I knew that it was their custom to go to bed when it got dark and to get up well before daylight. I also knew that I couldn't fall asleep that early so I was prepared  with a book in my overnight bag. 

Louise was not a great talker and by 8:30 or 9 we had pretty well run out of things to say to one another.

She ushered me to her guest room -- about three paces from the bathroom --  and whispered that there was a 'chamber' under the bed if I needed it in the night. 

As soon as the door closed behind her, I got into my night gown and  pulled out my book, only to realize that the sole light in the room was the single bare bulb in the middle of the ceiling. About a 60 watt bulb, at a guess.

So I read for a while, or tried to read, sitting on the foot of the bed as near the light as I could get. It was really kind of pathetic. Not to mention frustrating.

 I've seen lists of things a perfect guestroom should have and ours falls far short -- no desk, no comfy chair, no TV, no fluffy robe, no padded coat hangers. But it does have reading lights.

 And I'll try to remember to cut some fresh flowers for the vase on the chest of drawers.


The cat is optional.
 
Posted by Picasa

24 comments:

Catalyst said...

I commend you for the reading lights.

But . . . the cat is optional?

OPTIONAL???

What are you TALKING about?

The cat should be the FIRST thing you included.

I mean . . . I'm just sayin'.

Deanna said...

Oh wow. I love your guest room. And the lighting requirement is spot on. The cat is mandatory too. We've hosted so many chat friends here that our friends called us the chat motel. Have met such cool friends.

Cher'ley said...

That is a lovely room. We stayed in a bed and breakfast in Salem, MA and when we entered our room there was a black cat curled up in the rocking chair. Penelope. So cool.

Victoria said...

What a pretty guest room! It looks so comfortable and welcoming. But, I have to say that I would be extremely suspicious of anyone who wouldn't want a cat with them in the guest room! (Unless they're allergic, of course).

Subby said...

Very comfy looking and wonderful decor( eyeing the knotty pine ceiling and quilts, in particular )...

Miss_Yves said...

Very pretty, very cosy!I'd like to rest in your guest room!

Friko said...

I'd come and stay in your lovely guest room any day. A decent reading light is a must; if the cat wants to leave during the night, can I leave the window open for her?

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

lovely room....

Brian Miller said...

nah, cats top of the list...smiles. and most definitely reading light...

Pat in east TN said...

Vicki, your room looks very inviting. I would think anyone would feel quite welcome there. I love the airiness of it ... especially nice this time of year, and oooh the reading light is a must, along with the welcoming cat.

Paul C said...

The guests will be happy in that room for so many reasons. The blue tinge in your hydrangeas also a sensory treat.

Vicki Lane said...

Of course, when I said the cat was optional, what I meant was that it will be the cat's option.

NCmountainwoman said...

What an inviting room. I love it!

After my first experience without a reading light I started packing a little book light. And never once had to use it.

Curious about the neighbor's chamber pot.

Tess Kincaid said...

Your's looks so pleasant and inviting! I'll be right down~!

Helen T in SC said...

Good gosh, I love your house.

Tammy said...

It looks lovely AND inviting! Not having a desk or t.v. could truly be a blessing for those who can't figure out how to slow down unless forced to. As for the cat...Last year when I took my yearly two night getaway, I kept feeling the cats jump up on the bed and walk across it. It was quite odd...Do you think maybe I have cat issues or something. ;-)
Tammy

Stella Jones said...

Your guest room looks really comfortable Vicki. I agree with you about the lamp. I love to read at bedtime.
Blessings, Star

Martin said...

And you have those wonderful views to offer too!

Pepper Cory said...

As a former guest--it's a good bed and indeed the reading lights quite sufficient. The star quilt, hanging on the wall at the head of the bed I thought of as a kind of overstretched blessing.

Folkways Note Book said...

Vicki, Oh my guest bedroom is sorely lacking all those essentials you listed. but I do have a reading light by the bed so maybe I will get a C rather than an E. I have family coming in three waves for the next three months but they will forgive any inconvenience. Your guest room is very comfy looking! -- barbara

Susan M. Bell said...

A good bedside reading light and a cat. That makes it totally perfect.
:-)

Vicki Lane said...

What a good idea, mountainwoman! And I was curious about the chamber pot too -- maybe Louise didn't want to be awakened by a flush in the night.

Thanks, Willow and Helen! The furniture in the room was my grandmother's -- not fine stuff but I'm fond of it.

Tammy, I believe you're edging ever closer to Crazy Cat Lady status. ;-)

Martin -- the guest room has a view of woods and pasture and the old falling down cabin.

Thanks, Pepper! The quilt on the wall was made near here pronanly in the thirties of forties. The one on the bed was a gift made by our friends.

Barbara -- in the coming months, I'll add a fan to my essentials -- guests will have to bring their own fluffy robes.

Yep, kind of all one needs, Susan!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Vicki, your guest room looks very inviting. I totally agree about lightening. So important.
Sam

Tipper said...

Looks like a lovely guest room! I like a reading light in any room I stay in too.