How I wish I knew more about mushrooms! I could imagine these plump little ones, all tender and succulent, sauteed with butter and garlic.
On the other hand, I could imagine dying an agonizing death, swelling up and turning purple.
Are there any mushroom experts out there? I have a small, inadequate book that isn't helping. (Not that I would trust just a book identification. A mushroom expert, here in person, who eats the fungi in question the day before and survives -- that's what I'll trust.)
But I'm curious to know what these are -- if any of you have any ideas, please comment. Rest assured, even if you tell me these are edible, I won't go rushing back to harvest them.