Thursday, May 2, 2024

Not Dead Yet


Every Christmas, Claui's folks give us amaryllis bulbs, planted in beautiful tureens or other containers. They bloom and bloom on our dining table and when they are finished, I move them to the greenhouse, in hopes of a repeat performance. Which hasn't happened until now--this beauty from several years back is putting on a show. And there's a bud on another one in the greenhouse! Where there's life, as they say, there's hope!


Which brings me to the subject of my recent doctor visit--I have to go once a year and have blood drawn so they can make sure my thyroid medicine is working properly. So off I went and when, after a bit of a wait, the young man in skinny jeans who is my provider popped into the room and said, "Well, I didn't think I'd ever see you again," I was a little puzzled.

Did he think that at my advanced age, I wasn't likely to return? (I was already a little rattled by some of the questions the intake person had asked before taking my blood pressure. Did I experience feelings of hopelessness? Did I ever feel like life wasn't worth living? Or words to that effect.)

When I asked just what he meant about not seeing me again, he grinned and held out a copy of Crows. He'd purchased after my last visit a year ago and wanted me to sign it. 

Well, okay then. See you next year. I hope.


 

3 comments:

jennyfreckles said...

This made me smile. Yes, where there's life there's hope. Before I moved, my daughter asked me if I thought moving to a small flat would make me feel 'older'. Well, I don't but I do notice, when I observe a few other older folk exercising in the grounds with their canes or walkers, that I'm wondering how long it'll be before I'm doing the same! At least it motivates me to go for long hikes. While I still can!

Anvilcloud said...

That was an odd way to put it. lol
The amaryllis looks wonderful, a very rich colour.

Sandra Parshall said...

Even world-famous authors need medical care. 😄