Monday, December 11, 2023

Moros y Christianos

                                                              


AKA black beans and rice. A Spanish/Cuban favorite from my Tampa childhood. 

For some time now, we've been trying to have meatless suppers every other night. This is a tasty, easy treat.

First, I sauté chopped onion, green pepper, and garlic in olive oil. Then I stir in a can (undrained) of black beans and a packet of Goya Sazon.  A bit of dried oregano and finally, about a quarter cup of red wine. 

The wine is not traditional, but I tried it some time ago and it made the beans much tastier and somehow better rounded in flavor.

Top with chopped raw onion and a bit of olive oil and vinegar. A baked sweet potato is a good accompaniment. (Sauteed plantains would be even better.) And a tomato salad.

Muy bueno!

2 comments:

Sandra Parshall said...

Looks good -- and highly nutritious.

Barbara Rogers said...

That's definitely a keeper...my mouth is watering as I read the ingredients!