Saturday, June 3, 2023

Gardening Can Be Murder


I was delighted to receive an advance copy of Marta McDowell's latest. Marta became a blog friend some years ago when I discovered her delightful prose. Marta's a professional gardener and an accomplished and best-selling author. I've talked about her books here before--wonderful mash-ups of literature and gardening lore like Emily Dickenson's Gardening Life, Unearthing the Secret Garden, The World of Laura Ingalls Wilder, and Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life.



Now Marta's turned her gaze to the role of gardens in mysteries. I was honored to have been one of the mystery writers she interviewed and profiled, though, as I told her, my days of serious gardening are past.


The book's not out till the fall but you can, of course, pre-order (always a blessing for the author.) It's a great read for anyone with an interest in gardening or mysteries, Though, as I said in the blurb that appears on Amazon, the book is dangerous--you may find your list of plants for your garden increasing exponentially; you may begin lusting after garden tours, and your To Be Read stack of mysteries may teeter dangerously after Marta introduces you to so many delights.

But wait, there's more! The book is illustrated by another blog/FB friend--the endlessly creative Yolanda Fundora. 

So many talented friends! I'll be talking about another on Monday.



 

2 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh no! My book pile is increasing definitely as I spend a very little time gardening, and a lot of time being outside doing this that and the other! It was fun seeing (your?) research included in the Vance Museum's descriptors of the people who survived the Civil War in that house...including a Shelton Laurel letter to Gov. Vance!

Sandra Parshall said...

I just read a review of a new mystery titled Hedge, by Jane Delury. The main character is a master garden designer, and the novel contains sumptuous descriptions of landscapes. Still, the reviewer, Joan Frank, says the story will keep you up late reading.