Friday, April 16, 2021

A Crowded Calendar?


After a year of having a blank slate of a calendar, I find that appointments and other things are elbowing their way in. And I'm surprised that it's seeming a tad stressful. What, a mammogram, book club, and grocery shopping all on the same day? No way. Change that mammo appointment.


Yesterday seemed a bit harried--I had to go over to Mars Hill to return a recorder I'd borrowed, stop at Silvers Mill to inquire about next week's shipment of chicks, pick up a few things at the grocery (remember, until a month ago, John had done all the shopping,) and be back home to meet with a friend and discuss the Appalachian Heritage program she's working on for her school. And then a little prep for my Zoom writing workshop that evening. No big deal--except it seemed like it was. 

Ay, law--I've been spoiled this past year with a whole lot of dolce far niente.


Is this Covid re-entry anxiety? I find myself shaking my head at my whiny little bitch response to what would be a very ordinary, nay, even leisurely sort of day for most people. 

I used to be better at this stuff, always trying to make each trip of the farm serve many purposes and even enjoying negotiating a tight schedule. Now, while I'm delighted to have a bit more freedom, I can see I'm going to have to pace myself and take that freedom in small, socially distanced doses. 

 

6 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Activities that used to be ordinary do seem to take more out of us as we age. The hills just seems a bit steeper.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I find that as I've gotten older, I've slowed down quite a bit. Things take longer. I don't FEEL like I have less energy, but I seem to do things as "dawdle" speed. On the other hand, it's kinda pleasant to just take time.

Barbara Rogers said...

You probably have stayed more active than many of us who just walk from couch to refrigerator several times a day. I think many COVID isolated folks have lost muscle mass from our lack of exercise actually...and I know in the last 3 weeks I have while not being able to walk as my exercise. And as others mentioned, being an elder means I do have to slow down just because.

Marcia said...

Funny how the calendar fills back up as things open up. I was to have a haircut today, first since November. But flooring in kitchen being replaced at the same time so moved haircut to Tuesday! Awaiting the arrival of the floor mechanic as I write this. It's also snowing here!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

I don't think you are the only one who has COVID re-entry apprehension. It's good to read your post again after being away for awhile! Have a grand weekend!

Sandra Parshall said...

I have a list of things I need to get started on, and I don't want to do any of them. The only places I've been for a year were doctors' offices -- and one hospital visit for an outpatient procedure. Somehow that hospital visit seems less onerous than a teeth cleaning. My dentist still won't allow patients in his waiting room. They have to stay outside in their cars until called by cell phone.