Sunday, March 7, 2021

Fooling Around



What with keeping Josie, getting a haircut, and having friends to lunch, I've not had a free morning (when the light is good) to fiddle with the watercolors till yesterday. And fiddle I did.



The tulip was another exercise from my last venture but I decided to outline it--I've always liked the combination of watercolor and ink.



More from the exercise book. I realize I'm still putting on color too heavily--this isn't like oils.


Once the feather dries, I may give it an ink outline... I also know I need some masking fluid for cleaner edges.

And this last exercise-- a night sky--was fun because it involved sprinkling the wet paint with salt for the mottled effect. 

So much to learn. I'm also checking out some free videos of easy water color projects.  Will be making some happy little trees, ere long! 

But the important thing is how one loses oneself in paying attention to the work, the mind slows down and thinks only about the painting--I suspect the blood pressure drops. Another benefit is that, even away from the paints, one begins to look at things more closely, seeing more and thinking Now, how would I paint that? There's the highlight and look at the delicate shading on that side . . .


7 comments:

KarenB said...

Those are lovely! I didn't know that you could do that with salt - that's a great effect.

Marcia said...

I was gifted with a set of 96 Arteza real brush pens. I need to do some exploring with what I can do with them. But like you time seems to vanish on me.

Barbara Rogers said...

So glad you're enjoying your artistic pursuit! Watercolors are amazing...there's something that they do on their own...not with us in control at all! Keep on getting into the artist's trance!

dannie said...

Youtube has so many good tutorials but there are two that I recommend. Amy at Art Conspiracy, teaches how to be loose and not afraid to explore. Interesting, I met her at the Kanuga Watermedia workshop but she lives in Thailand. Susan Jenkins is a pastel artist but uses watercolor as under painings quite often. She is worth watching just because she is so great with color and teaching the basics. Your feather is beautiful and somehow I am not surprised that you have this hidden talent.

Thérèse said...

Harmony in blue. Hidden talent Vicki. I love the last one you created as if you had come back from Iceland! The magic of watercolor!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

How very lovely! Have a wonderful week!

Anvilcloud said...

What a delightful assemblage with consistent colours.