Wednesday, January 24, 2018

If I Were Going . . .



I might pedal in stately style, sitting high and oh-so-correctly attired. . . pausing at tea time for a cup of Darjeeling and, perhaps, a scone.


Or . . . perhaps I'd throw a saddle on old Paint. With saddlebags full of provisions and a blanket roll behind, I could set off for the far mountains, sleeping beneath the dazzling stars and waking to frost on my blanket.. . .




Or . . . one could motor in elegance, a liveried chauffer at the wheel, purring along the boulevards and waving languidly at pedestrian acquaintances . . . 



Or . . . I'd opt for the camel, padding across the Outback. The train and its passengers whisk past us and behind its windows, someone heaves a heartfelt sigh of envy.


Or . . . seeking the exhilaration of speed, I'd don helmet and goggles, lean into the curves, and ride the wind.

But perhaps a punt would be pleasant. White flannels, quiet water, and a picnic basket. And though it's Cambridge, not Oxford, I'll lie back, enjoy the view, and pretend I'm Harriet Vane, on the river with Lord Peter.  


6 comments:

Thérèse said...

I would should without hesitation the Trans-Australian Railway.

Anvilcloud said...

What an unexpected and fun post. It makes me wonder what your brain was doing to get you to post that.

Barbara Rogers said...

Such fun...lovely art work. Real designs that speak to my heart...and used to be on the coffee tables of my parent's youth.

Cindy White said...

The bike...oh the bike....

Bernie said...

wow, you took me there! On every mode of transportation and the land they drove on. Thank you, I enjoyed my trips. xx

Jime said...

I'll take the Harley or the horse for me self.